Home

Nordic News

Hah! Sweet: just sold off a bunch of gardening tools one departing neighbour who just moved left in their basement lock-up for anyone to take.

Two steel shovels, composite handles, heavy duty: €50 each, or two for €90 - SOLD!
Three garden rakes, telescopic handles, heavy duty: €20 each or three for €50 - SOLD!
Garden shears, never used, wooden handles: €25 - SOLD!
Replacement blades for trimmer/strimmer: €25 - SOLD!
Lopper, composite handles, steel blades/cutters: €15 - SOLD!

That's just over two hundred euros for nothing.

On a Sunday.

Sweet.

It was a twelve year old schoolboy, most likely took his parent's gun: one child dead, two more kids badly injured.

The shooter hopped the bus back to Helsinki and was spotted wandering around - with the gun still on his person, so they arrested him on sight and he's now in custody. This one will likely fall back on the parents: if they're Finnish-born then they ought to know better than leaving any gun anywhere a kid can find it. In which case they'll be punished along with the kid. If they're foreigners, then we all know the deal: they'll be threatened and expected to move elsewhere - like back to wherever they came from.

Very sad to read about any kid being hurt in any way - and worse again that one child can do that to another.

More to follow as it comes in..

Very sad news, school shootings are not usually something you'd associate with safe and civilised Nordic societies.

Yeps, all persons involved are Finnish, and the kid's been taken into the care of the social services while this pans out.

I'm guessing that over the weekend - it being a long bank holiday from Thursday through Monday - that the family of the shooter likely went up north to their mökki (as is tradition over the Easter break) to get things sorted and ready for when they move up full-time for the summer. If they're in an area with wildlife roaming, the gun is a necessary tool to protect the family from anything between wolves, bears, moose, wild deer, stags in heat, etc.

Gun ownership is very common, but most people don't bring their hardware home to the city - they usually secure it in the mökki all the time.

The school has been closed for a few days, they need to comb the scene I guess, I hope the kids get the counsel they need - which they will of course.

It's usually at this point that people start pointing fingers and suggesting we ban all guns. Stupid move, it puts people's lives at risk. The wilds are full of animals of all sorts, there's no way I'd hang around in bear country (just a couple of hundred miles north of where I sit) but even so, we've had bears and wolves wandering into towns not far from here, looting the bins in the wooden house districts (in the city it's much tighter: we have three bins beneath the sink unit: two are large and are for general waste and the smaller one's for bio). The garbage halls on the ground floor have massive steel doors and not even a mouse can get in. There are five or six types of waste collected from those: general, paper, bio, metals, glass, and cardboard.

But out in the suburbs, people have outside bins like you do at home: if the wildlife is having a tough season, then they'll eat anything they can find. They don't like people so it's not a good idea to approach any of them. Fire a shot into the air/ground first, then see if that scares them off. If not, shoot next to them as a warning. Then if they defy you, you have to shoot to bring it down, so a leg or in the arse. If they attack - kill them. There's no other options. You can't run from a bear or a wolf. Not even a moose if they're angry enough and have the kids with them.

Yeah - there'll be blood and hair flying over the next couple of days.

The funeral for the deceased child likely won't take place for some weeks yet.

The process of postmortem activities takes a while up here.

Damn, but the parents of the dead kid?

Fucking hell.

Some thing lighter to raise the mood from sorrow to wonder: the Finnish northern lights:

I'd love to stay in one of those Ice hotels in northern Finland one day, just spending the whole night staring at the Northern Lights. It must be such a magical experience.

Not too expensive either. Of course, the locals see the lights all the time, but as the short BBC documentary from Sodankylä shows you, it never gets old. Phenomena on that scale puts you and your life into some perspective. You see your place in the bigger picture and it really ain't all that much. My man Kalle is from Sodankylä, as is his wife Jenni. The kids are very much Helsinki, but they visit their real home in Sodankylä several times a year.

You can fly up to Rovaniemi in around two hours, but the train takes eleven to twelve hours depending.

Coach liners you book online take around fourteen hours, and they have a WC aboard - but the tickets are dirt cheap from Helsinki.

One odd thing about the end of Finnish winter: the snow we bulldoze and pack onto trucks is taken to the area around the main prison about fifteen kilometers out of town. The trucks pull up every few minutes and pile the collected snow which is then bulldozed into place afterwards. But that snow is still there at the height of summer, months later when we're all complaining about the heat. You can whizz out on the bus and have a snowball fight, or rather, ice-ball fights. It turns black as the dust piles over it from the summer breeze. The prisoners bet on whether it'll still be there piled up when the next year's season begins.

Anything to fill in the time, I guess.

But during the Celtic Tiger years, Helsinki/Vantaa was packed with Irish families bringing the kids up to Santa's village outside Rovaniemi.

Money to burn, so it was - the stupid fuckers.

Look at them now?

A nation in shock up here.

What a terrible day.

Hard to believe it looking outside at the streets just now - all dry and cleared of the last of winter's ice and snow, but we're going to get around 20/25cm of snowfall overnight. Weather warnings all across southern Finland tonight and for the coming AM.

The first of the spring flowers are starting to bud. Some trees too. The change of seasons is quite abrupt up here, we have very distinctive seasonal weather patterns unlike Ireland, where it's pretty much grey and damp most of the time.

The coming snowfall will be silent but intense.

It'll suit the current national mood.

In which case you presumed entirely wrong, as per fucking usual, you dumb Paddy cunt.

Both the child with the gun and his classmates who were injured or killed are all (white/pink) Finnish-born children.

So you can take your racist bullshit and shove it where many men have been but never returned: up your Ma's gash.

The Finnish government should understand that Mowl is a subversive and deport him.. Sadly they won't do that because of his "human rights"

The Finnish government should understand that Mowl is a subversive and deport him..

They know exactly what I'm up to.

But I'm also spotless clean and my tax affairs are in order.

To them, I'm an asset.

To the ladies, a gift.

Sadly they won't do that because of his "human rights"

My human rights include pitying you for the fool you are.

Ask yourself: what will you have show for all your efforts blogging someone else's point of view in say around two years from now?

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Whereas I'll have even more people/fans than the 9,400+ I already have lining up to buy my book when it comes out. There'll be RTE appearances, radio interviews, looks back at my earlier RTE appearances, they'll have my school teachers on like it's an episode of 'This Is Your Life' with Eamonn Andrews (who's adopted son and ex-Cactus World News bassist Fergal I played with - he was playing bass through his new rig: previous owner: John Entwhistle of The Who) and everyone who knows me will be there to cheer me on.

Then the money will have to be dealt with.

The weird twist of fate that made a book about Ballyer famous down under will see me on a stand-up tour of Australia talking about Irish people and Irish life. The money will keep rolling in as I make every appearance 'as unforgettable as fuck' as your buddy Saul might say.

Meanwhile, you'll still be shouting at the walls and 'winning' on chat sites.

Cactus World News (ft Fergal MacAindris) 'Years Later' (1986)

No one reads your Facebook page Mowl, nobody.

It's incredible how seriously you take all of this stuff and to top it all off, you have absolutely nothing of any value (or contemporaneous) to say. At least I have that.

Top Bottom