Home

Culchies

I wonder how many chocolate eggs will Dan wolf down this easter? Definitely a few hundred peanut butter cups anyway.

I wonder what it's like for a loudmouth such as Val to have to go four whole days without any attention on YouTube?

Hah! I'd forgotten about that.

Actually, wait - stop: if I could forget that so quickly and entirely, then what of Val's audience?

What must THEY be going through?

Nothing to laugh at, they are culchies after all - and nothing ever happens in culchie territory bar the occasional outbreak of foot and mouth or mad cow disease.

Without their daily/nightly/duskly/dawnly fix of Old Thicko they must be in a permanent state of chronic depression: and likely suicidal tendencies.

As for Val himself?

He's probably down on the high street of Cavan town with his laptop in one hand and his 'Real True Education' backdrop in the other stopping people and starting every conversation with:

'Goodnight - this is the eh, the 26th of eh, no - the 28th of.. ..emm, um - March, two-thousand and eh, emm, errmm, eh - yeah: twenty-three - NO! FOUR..'

Then after he's done boring the pants off everyone he ends the conversation by asking them to:

'Give us an, an, ah - a thumbs or a thumbs down there - thanks, and eh, emmm, and we'll eh, we'll see you back for something, now, eh, bye. Yeah, bye.

The poor stupid bastard - I really should have gotten onto Jack out in Montrose: RTE would fucking LOVE Val.

Culchie Ireland would fucking love him too.

Even the exports.

Wouldn't like to be a sheep in Culchieland, surrounded by a bunch of country bumpkins with nothing better to do, or ways to keep their minds occupied. With Val's videos gone it's back to business as usual among the local yokels unfortunately.

The Holy Trinity of Culchiedom:

▪︎Going to Mass.

▪︎Loving the GAA.

▪︎Voting Fianna Fáil.

▪︎Refusing to shave their necks.

▪︎Refusing to wipe their arse with anything bar yesterday's newspaper.

▪︎Being stalwarts of the (now-closed) Real True Education television network.

Some classic Old Thicko culchie-level stuff on display from Val today.

He's happened upon the begging letter The Journal keeps plastering visitors with to scrounge a few shillings for the electrickery and rolls of toilet paper.

All he has to do is click 'No' and it disappears - except Old Thicko can't get his big mad culchie head around it and is interrupting everyone on the gay bar site by demanding to know why there's a paywall for him and no-one else. Classic Old Thicko, but.

The Journal is still free to view, at least for now anyway.

We're in the subscription age where everything from newspaper articles to music to software to television are disappearing behind paywalls. The worst of them being the television studios of course - they literally halt the production of physical DVDs meaning you've no other way to view xyz content but to sign up for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon, NOW, Discovery+, Paramount+ etc etc. It'll get to the stage where people are paying hundreds of euros every month, just to see what you were once able to view with a once-off payment. It's the same with software, e.g. you used to be to just buy MS Office or Nortons Anti-virus software as a once-off payment...now in order to access them you need to permanently pay for annual subscriptions.

I could see the same happening to music soon enough, with companies halting the production of physical CDs and Vinyl...therefore tying you in to their subscription models. It's all a load of bullshit and pure unadulterated greed. We're getting to a point where we'll own none of our entertainment, instead we'll be paying rent in perpetuity to listen to or watch xyz film or musical album. My advice to people is to start buying up as much physical media as possible so as to lesson any future dependence on these cunts and their beloved subscription models. One subscription looks cheap, but dozens or hundreds of subscriptions start adding up...that's another way they get you in the end.

The Journal is still free to view, at least for now anyway.

We're in the subscription age where everything from newspaper articles to music to software to television are disappearing behind paywalls. The worst of them being the television studios of course - they literally halt the production of physical DVDs meaning you've no other way to view xyz content but to sign up for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon, NOW, Discovery+, Paramount+ etc etc. It'll get to the stage where people are paying hundreds of euros every month, just to see what you were once able to view with a once-off payment. It's the same with software, e.g. you used to be to just buy MS Office or Nortons Anti-virus software as a once-off payment...now in order to access them you need to permanently pay for annual subscriptions.

I could see the same happening to music soon enough, with companies halting the production of physical CDs and Vinyl...therefore tying you in to their subscription models. It's all a load of bullshit and pure unadulterated greed. We're getting to a point where we'll own none of our entertainment, instead we'll be paying rent in perpetuity to listen to or watch xyz film or musical album. My advice to people is to start buying up as much physical media as possible so as to lesson any future dependence on these cunts and their beloved subscription models. One subscription looks cheap, but dozens or hundreds of subscriptions start adding up...that's another way they get you in the end.
Here's a great essay written 100 years ago. Still highly relevant to today.

Here's a great essay written 100 years ago.

Imagine the articles of the year 2124?

Imagine how the humans of the time will view us as tiny bugs, parasites on a world gone mad with greed and hollow and shallow one-upmanship? Slaughtering each other as a global model of wealth transfer and the constant tripping-up of each others best efforts to make it an even only slightly better world to live in? Our primitive efforts at establishing a world where all men are equal regardless of their antiquated religious beliefs or the wealth in their pockets and houses that's resulted in so much global poverty and desperation?

Back one hundred years ago, our ancestors likely thought that they were doing the best they could with the tools and information they had available to them, but still to us they're cave-men. The path of technology from the 1920's to the 2020's was initially slow, then began to abound with both the first and second world wars. Massive shifts of power, wealth, and information causing a tsunami of sociological change that carved out the way to 'The Future'.

Well, look at us now? The future's here and it ain't really all that much. Like in the crappy American movie 'Back To Future', we're always hopping back in time to 'The Golden Ages' of man, yet we're still living lives that demand we work and slave for the bright tomorrow - that never actually comes - yet the work goes on and on and then the depressing realization that there isn't ever going to be any of those 'better days ahead' as each man's lifetime of work and sweat results in a huge pile of nothing but a carbon footprint and a collection of plastic cards with secretive numbers, passwords, and imaginary wealth that dies with him. Nothing he's done really matters. A slave to the grind. Nine to five, eating at the twenty-four hour clock that counts our heartbeats until they end - with no great fanfare. Slaves to the living wage that can't and aren't meant to afford you even a minute's peace.

Then there are those who opt out altogether: the romantics who shun the ticking of the clock as their master. They work and operate just off radar but we all know they're there and that they'll never come in from the cold because to do so means they must be assimilated into the process and forced to find their place on the ladder of what's considered success and what's considered failure. How can any lifetime of nine-to-five be a 'success' when you're handed the gold watch and a small brass clock for your mantle-piece after forty-odd years of slog to some faceless production unit that values you such? They give you a clock so you can count out the seconds until you expire, leaving nothing of any meaning behind bar your bloodline.

Life's too short for all that. I'd rather fail at my own creative life enterprises than 'succeed' by putting in the hours to make some complete stranger richer than he already is. Wealth gets passed along the hereditary chain and the children of the rich therefore have something to look forward too. More and more of the same is fine when you're sitting on a pile of used notes, but there's nothing to look forward to in poverty - only death. Dying means the end of the hurt, the desperation, the weight of responsibility hammed onto your shoulders as yet another unnecessary burden one has carry as part of societies view of their life expectations. These are the slaves of the modern world. Yes, they may seem to be free and have some choices open to them, but it's all an illusion. Their part in the greater picture of things doesn't even register. They're like the extras in some movie who never get credited or noted. Background noise. The false illusion of being part of something bigger than they appear to be as one man alone. It's like being an atheist at Midday Mass in Ballyfermot: all the same fuckers who run the drugs, who burgle the houses, who beat their wives and children, all acting out their pious and hypocritical adoration of some greater power than they are alone.

One has to wonder how it's all come down to this.

I could have become a bus driver: that door was opened to me before I even turned twelve years of age. The one thing I can recall from those days was that I wasn't confused by it: it made perfect sense to know that, as soon as my time in the classroom was up, I knew exactly where I was going. To be assimilated and numbered, my hours marked and my time given a monetary value. Sadly (!) that never worked out. The footsteps of my Father weren't to be mine, and by the cruelest of twists of fate he contracted cancer at age 44, and was dead just after turning 45. But before he left us we had a wonderfully dark conversation as two men, not father and son, but men of the world. His courage shaped the next decade of my life. He told me that the buses he drove were in reality driving him. Around and around in circles never going anywhere but around the loop. People climb on and off, they're there for part of the ride, but never all of it. He told me that if I denied what I was and sacrificed it all for the sake of 'doing the right thing' then my life as I knew it would be over. It wouldn't have any meaning.

Being told not to go to work as a slave to some other entity by a working class father of children in a poverty-stricken neighbourhood is hardly new.

But being reminded that following the path to self-actualization is rather startling, given the nature of the conditions we lived in.

So I decided to hack off the ball and chain of my humble beginnings and simply 'walk the Earth' as Jules Winnfield so succinctly put it. If cancer could take my Father so quickly and horrifically, then whatever takes me is bound to be even worse given that I'm only half the man he was in his prime. So I have little to lose but everything to gain. It's not the best life I can imagine but I am trying to make something more of my time than the sweat required to earn that gold watch and brass clock. My time is my own - no-one elses. I am my own boss, my own accountant, my own cop. I learned these things not from the classroom or the church, but on the streets and in the bars. Selling music and art and never compromising my time or my originality. And the beauty of it all is that, after enough time, one begins to realize that there's no way back to the 'safety' and/or 'security' of the hum-drum nine-to-five.

When I realized that, it made me even more determined to make sure that after I'm gone, I'll still be remembered by that which I've left behind and into which I've invested my entire being - my soul, as such.

We all have choices: some hard, some easy.

I'm happy with mine, if I hadn't taken the path I did I'd never have known that I could be this happy, this independent, this contented with my life so far away from home and in a country where the language is an even bigger barrier than the need for a visa/work contract to place me or anyone else here. The path less chosen, quite literally. After all, who moves to country that has the world's most difficult of language and obscure culture? Such intense seasons? So far from any of the conventions I would have taken for granted hadn't I upped and left?

One hundred years from now?

I'd love to be around to see it, eh.

Last edited:
Great post Mowl.

... He told me that the buses he drove were in reality driving him...
That brought to mind a story that the musician “Mad Mike” Banks tells about his grandfather, a factory worker operating a machine every day of his life. This machine pressed metal all day, but one day, when Banks’s grandfather placed his hand in the machine accidentally, it spared his hand—for the first and only time, it refused to press down.

youtu.be/2tG3ZiFcKFc?si=Ec076ZJkckmG2U43

Banks made the above production in the mid nineties with the technology of then. In those times I think there was still the idea around that the relationship with technology could be changed, that we could really use and control the machine, have it serve us, rather than the other way around.

I note in software as well, there was a proper "open source" movement (rather than what the corporates today have turned it into). An actual "bazaar" as this developer refers to it:

"... The problem is we cannot, because a select few corporations own so much intellectual property that grants them a monopoly that there is no open marketplace. The bazaar is mostly dead. Very few people are out there any more. Most developers have moved to the cathedrals being built around the bazaar where they hunker in padded chairs in gilded cages. This is not just happening in software. There is far more market manipulation and monopoly protection in the overall economy than there is in just software. Just like intellectual property law, the claim of these policies is to protect the workers. The reality is it makes it difficult for workers to work anywhere except in a cathedral, in a large public or private institution. Is this what we want? I cannot speak for you, but this is not what I want..."

The buses are drivingus all around and around in circles never going anywhere, rather than us driving them.

Last edited:
Of course, if everyone rebelled, then there wouldn't be anything left to rebel against.

So it's ironic that opting out of life altogether is considered cowardly: what takes courage for one man takes more or less courage for another man.

Or woman.

Each of us find ourselves in unique positions/experiences, even if we were born within minutes or miles of each other. The way forward for each of us is also unique, though some never even bother asking themselves why they do what they do. Responsibility for the kids you decided to create, for the family unit you're a cog in the wheel of, the company/machine you work for, and the banks that secure your future for you - unless of course they go rogue and fuck you over, leaving you with nothing. I see a lot of that In Ireland, and the people who cause these cancers on Irish society are lauded as great men.

Recently I was exposed to a video I wasn't prepared to stomach.

On the gay bar site, Arsefield's - one cunt slapped the video up without any warning attached. It showed a dark-skinned man chewing his food intently while staring at the camera. Then, after swallowing what he'd chewed, he bit off some more. It was from the lower leg of a man burning on top of a bonfire on a street in broad daylight. It caused me much trauma that stayed with me for days after because I couldn't 'un-see' what I'd just seen.

From a ravaged street in Haiti, only weeks ago.

The first thing that came to mind while trying to erase what I'd seen was Denis O'Brien.

Why?

Because back in the day when those Irish pensioners lost their pensions to Eircom's collapsed share prices, they went hell for leather after the bank managers. A summit was called and one old guy threw some eggs at the assembled millionaires on the stage with their name-plates and positions, fresh spring water to sip on, and a nice lunch to look forward afterwards. Those who lost everything were rightfully angry: the State itself had participated in the effort to get the pensioners to invest into Eircom as a 'sure thing' and they did so using the national broadcaster as their medium. Pretty much exactly the same ruse that saw Ireland collapse yet again from the 1990s into the 2000s and on to complete breakdown in 2011.

O'Brien made sure his money was safe before Eircom finally collapsed. He took what he had and bought the rights to install mobile telephony across Haiti, a sweet little number that made him even more millions later on. When his own money was secured, he pulled out - just in time too. Odd the way he was always one step ahead of things, eh? So recently, the country he made so much cash from are turning to cannibalism. In 2024. Humans cooking and eating other humans. O'Brien must find it hilarious. After all, what he did isn't all that different, and instead of the meat on the human leg for dinner, he had their soul. Their future. Their quality of life. Measured in cash dollar money. Not ethics or morals, but the cannibalization of an entire island of 11m people.

Time moves on, I guess - and we're all expected to participate in forgetting the bad days in favour of the better ones.

Even if it is legs and beans for supper.

All three of those lambs are currently 'resting' somewhere down in Val's digestive tract.

By tomorrow morning, they be an organic element within the pile that is The Shitting Ditch.

Top Bottom