Home

Why housing is so expensive today.

Prisoners live in better quality than Irish tenants.

So fucking glad I got out of that fucking kip of a country; besides, even if you can afford to toss out €1500 a month on rent, the view out to the streets of Tallaght isn't exactly going to inspire you. Rather it's somewhat a suicidal looking space to inhabit. Imagine the rumble from the upstairs tenant? You could hear the fuckers fart, snore, hear every word of every row. Know when they're fucking, cooking, hoovering, or contemplating suicide.

That second shot of the kitchen? An absolute waste of space. Nordic themed design would utilize every square inch of that enclosure and make it a work of art. Irish style landlords? They don't give a fuck if you're black, white, yellow, alien, greasy, rich, on drugs, or senile - so long as they get their money. When the landlords of the nation deliberately drive down the quality and standard of available options (if there's any at all) then the tenant quotient will suffer. They're above the law, these cunts.

One of my addresses in Dublin for around four years during the 90s along the Beggar's Bush area off Haddington Road was at this lovely little spot (it's not number 3 - it's a 'named' house) which was in fact two cottages adjoining each other and a wall was taken out to connect them. The owner who bought it as an investment offered it to me to live in while I was scouting for a new address. he needed someone to live in it and I paid $15.00 per month for it. He covered the electricity and gas and I had the whole thing to myself. My bedroom was the little window on the upper floor to the left (the window went from the floor up to the angled ceiling). The kitchen and lounge took up the ground floor. A second bedroom opposite mine was piled high in music gear, flight cases, etc. He used it as an office sometimes, very rarely though. I used it for practice.

There were four open fires including one in my bedroom. A bathroom out back and a kitchen beside that. No neighbours at the time, the houses/mews nearby weren't there. A small garage run by the Irish mechanics who work on classic Triumph sports cars had a place thirty meters up the lane. That was it. I could make all the noise I wanted, throw big parties, dance or eat outside in summertime, and for a while I had two tables and chairs outside for passers by who might also ask for a coffee. So I kept the coffee machine on during summer days.

Fifteen Irish pounds a week.

For this:

The owner was a gas. He was my manager/agent at the time, so the deal was perfect for both of us. He lived elsewhere with his lady nearby his daily business (a rock and roll laundry shop called Soapy Joe's in Rathmines) and dropped by once in a while to collect or drop off things. No number on the door. I had my mail directed to my Mam's house instead. It's since been bought and done up to an amazing standard. One Irish paper featured it in the property supplement a few years back and the interior was stunning. Still the same red front door I had to bend down to pass through. Two downward steps onto the main floor. A spiral staircase and a windowed hallway that gave so much light. The walls are around twenty inches thick (the inside ledges beneath the windows were at least that width) and the two cottages were built around 1920/25.

It sold for stupid money, but not during the Celtic Tiger: the buyer sold it only five years back.

Of course finding gems like that anywhere in Dublin are extremely rare these days.

It'd be a hell of a lot pricier than the paltry few quid I paid for it.

Excellent post. It isn't really surprising when you consider the percentage of Dail TDs + local councillors who are landlords. Like any good gombeen they look after their own.

I also find something Orwellian about the PEACE LOVE HAPPINESS picture above the boarded-up fireplace. A €5 piece thrown up on the wall which is perhaps supposed to make paying €18,000 a year more bearable? These peace-loving landlords would turf you out on the street in the middle of winter if you're so much as a hundred euro behind on the rent.

Galway "City" landlords have begun to develop notions...€1,200 a month for this bedroom. Or...small-town living at cosmopolitan prices.

"Shure dis is the big city, yer not in Spiddal anymore boyo"

There is 1 room available as per photos.Central location just 2 mins walk to Eyre Square and Shop street.Other room is occupied by a female working professional in 30'sSend your details with a bit about yourself.

Kitchen / sitting room.

I can imagine the depth of the horrors setting in if I had to sit under that main central light from the bulb in the roof while stuck in for the evening with the housemates. No lamps to soften the barren surroundings, three people crammed onto the sofa. No heat source to sit in front of apart from a small radiator on the wall under the curtains. Nothing to distract you from having to look some other cunt in the eye thinking how much you hate the way they keep sticking their finger into their ear/nose/back teeth and then looking at what they found before wiping it into the arm of the sofa like everything's good in the world.

Or listening to some knacker culchie farmhand sucking at his teeth to get the remnants of last night's gigot chops out of his big mad red face.

Or having the use the jacks after the same bogger the morning after his night on the piss.

Never ever leave your toothbrush exposed if you live in a shared house.

Bring it with you if you can - along with a knife and fork and a few sheets of tissue.

This shit certainly doesn't fucking help matters either:

It's not as though they only throw this level of bullshit out once in a while - on the contrary, it happens pretty much every fucking day. Irish people are blinded by it, they see houses like this with price tags like that and of course they're going to start crying and weeping about how they'll never be able to afford a place of their own. On the budget suggested by the attached image, it's hardly a fucking surprise.

Three and a half million for a block of slab concrete?

In Finland, most smaller apartments (for students, first time movers out of their home) feature a very simple design aspect. Looking at the photo in the last post, the bed takes up the entire space. It's dead mass, everything about it screams of a prison cell. Up here smaller apartments always lift the bed off the floor and place it on a mezzanine made of simple 4x4 batons to take the weight and a sheet of plywood cut to size and placed across a half dozen joists to keep it sturdy and able to take the weight.

This frees up lots of floor space: if you put the bed up to a drop of say half a meter from the ceiling, you can put a small sit-down office/lounge area/storage feature thereby maximizing the available space for better living. Things like a sink unit with a draining side are another dumb artifact. Better to buy one of these drainers and a shelving surround to hold it in place. It saves space and offers functionality in numerous ways: when you need clean plates, take them off the shelf inside the drainer. When you wash them, you put them back to drain into the sink and dry naturally, saving on additional drying space, storage space.

Rental apartments up here are fitted with everything you need for smaller scale living, and in a city like Helsinki that matters a lot because we live in apartment blocks, not houses. Other simple things like having at least TWO options (I have four) as to where you set up your media/study/work section. The wall meeting the floor has a points unit for TV, FM radio, internet, power, etc. You might prefer to have yours under your mezzanine so rather than trail a load of cables along the floor, you have a point where you need it.

Why do Irish landlords put electrical sockets in the middle of the wall?
They're almost as high as the on/off switches for the overhead lights.

Window areas are always kept clear of any fitted furniture items - it's important to be able to stride over to your window to check the weather etc. Furniture is never placed where it blocks natural light. I've stayed in fifteen and eighteen square meter student apartments that have total functionality and are very comfortable. Right now I don't have to worry about any of these things as I have huge amounts of space to myself here.

Those Irish flats look like cells: like places you go to die slowly and all alone.

I remember the horrors of queuing up to view bedsits back in the day. Most times I'd walk in and without hesitation turn on my heels and walk straight back out again in shock. The smells. The filth. The sheer grim horror of the carpet. The nasty-bastard landlord jangling his sets of keys in his filthy and shining cheap suit. The weird neighbours eyeballing you in the queue. The cunts around you jostling to get ahead of you. Man, it was a suicide mission.

How any of you can even contemplate living like that is a mystery to me.

Imagine your first night? The neighbours arguing, the walls groaning and the pipes all creaking and whining? The passing traffic outside, the buses, the trucks. The drunks at night rambling home singing songs and kicking a beer can down the road. Cop cars racing to the scene of the crime. Ambulances, fire trucks, stolen cars. Waking up next morning in the complete horrors that surround you. The sheer greyness and drabness of it all. The rain outside, the cold gripping your bones as you wait shivering or the kettle to boil to make a cup of Nescafe. Having to use a shared toilet and bathroom with people from another planet. Carpet on the toilet room floor. The mould in the shower basin. Other people's used toiletries and tissues in the bin. The handing over of the rental cash every Friday evening to a scumbag with foul breath and a wee notebook he writes everything into (as though that makes his racket both legal and righteous) and keeps in his breast pocket.

The cash is trousered immediately.

Fuck.

I can still remember the worst of it.

Thank god I left all that behind.

That looks lovely. Your average gombeen Irish landlord would probably be charging €2,500 a month for that...and it wouldn't even be as nice.

Most Irish rentals looks like they haven't been done up in over 25 years.

That looks lovely. Your average gombeen Irish landlord would probably be charging €2,500 a month for that...and it wouldn't even be as nice.

I could knock one of those up for you in a day.

All I need is the raw timber (cheap enough) and the right tools and a selection box of screws and rawling plugs: simple, easy, and quick.

I hung four of these (per-fabricated) 'barn door' systems in that student pad last week. They went up like a dream and hang perfectly for a door held in place by nothing more than gravity and a pair of bumpers at either end of the hanging rail. Looks really good and having three of them in the one room (connected to the kitchen, the main hallway, and the balcony) makes the place look kind of Victorian and rugged. The doors themselves weighed around six kilos each but the suspension bar can handle several times that.

I also built a cool ladder for one mezzanine bed in the bedroom. You can connect it to the mezzanine and use it as dual shelving for books, etc or you can move it around the room for other purposes such a leaving seedlings in the sun at the window by day and as a ladder by night. The more multi-functional the items one builds in small spaces, the better. You'd be surprised what you can do with a small space and some clever design. I've been nixering on interior design gigs quite a bit over the last year or so, and the crew who hired me are great people to work for.

One thing I've learned and re-learned again is measure twice - drill/cut once.

Most Irish rentals looks like they haven't been done up in over 25 years.

The last few I ever saw were suicide inducing to me. But thankfully over the years I had a number of excellent shares with close friends. It was always cheaper to rent a three bed house than it was for one person to live alone in some dank basement flat. Between the three of us we had connections all over town, so when a cool address came up, we were usually first in line. Great addresses too:

Sibthorpe Lane
Leeson Park Avenue
Dunville Avenue
Belgrave Sq Nth
Belgrave Sq Sth (years later)
Lower Hatch Street
Upper Leeson St

And once on the north-side (North Great George's Street) for a few weeks.

Most addresses needed a lick of paint and some basic updating. Letting your landlord see that you're handy with tools always leads to cash-paid work. It can help in fixing a rental fee too if they think they're going to get back a better place than they let. Besides, who'd sleep in a ten year old bed? Walk on filthy carpets? Bath in a rusty tub? Use the utensils left by the previous tenant? These are all Irish traits - I've never seen them anywhere else.

There's no way I could possibly survive life in a Dublin flat.

I'd rather be dead; which is more or less what the entire experience is like.

The difference between the two rentals, in Dublin and Helsinki, bespeak of a difference in attitude; a difference in philosophy and ethics.

Unfortunately in this country - work, trade, commerce, and the rights and duties associated with them, emanate from an essentially "peasant-minded" attitude.

Consider the following from John Ruskin's essay, "The Roots of Honour", in which he discusses what is required of "the Merchant". (This is close enough to "the landlord", they are very similar considerations). He writes:

"... Five great intellectual professions, relating to daily necessities of life, have hitherto existed three exist necessarily, in every civilized nation:—

The Soldier’s profession is to defend it.
The Pastor’s, to teach it.
The Physician’s, to keep it in health.
The Lawyer’s, to enforce justice in it.
The Merchant’s, to provide for it.

And the duty of all these men is, on due occasion, to die for it.

“On due occasion,” namely:—

The Soldier, rather than leave his post in battle.

The Physician, rather than leave his post in plague.

The Pastor, rather than teach Falsehood.

The Lawyer, rather than countenance Injustice.

The Merchant what is his “due occasion” of death?

It is the main question for the merchant, as for all of us. For, truly, the man who does not know when to die, does not know how to live.

Observe, the merchant’s function (or manufacturer’s, for in the broad sense in which it is here used the word must be understood to include both) is to provide for the nation. It is no more his function to get profit for himself out of that provision than it is a clergyman’s function to get his stipend. This stipend is a due and necessary adjunct, but not the object of his life, if he be a true clergyman, any more than his fee (or honorarium) is the object of life to a true physician. Neither is his fee the object of life to a true merchant. All three, if true men, have a work to be done irrespective of fee to be done even at any cost, or for quite the contrary of fee; the pastor’s function being to teach, the physician’s to heal, and the merchant’s, as I have said, to provide. That is to say, he has to understand to their very root the qualities of the thing he deals in, and the means of obtaining or producing it; and he has to apply all his sagacity and energy to the producing or obtaining it in perfect state, and distributing it at the cheapest possible price where it is most needed.

And because the production or obtaining of any commodity involves necessarily the agency of many lives and hands, the merchant becomes in the course of his business the master and governor of large masses of men in a more direct, though less confessed way, than a military officer or pastor; so that on him falls, in great part, the responsibility for the kind of life they lead: and it becomes his duty, not only to be always considering how to produce what he sells, in the purest and cheapest forms, but how to make the various employments involved in the production, or transference of it, most beneficial to the men employed.

And as into these two functions, requiring for their right exercise the highest intelligence, as well as patience, kindness, and tact, the merchant is bound to put all his energy, so for their just discharge he is bound, as soldier or physician is bound, to give up, if need be, his life, in such way as it may be demanded of him. Two main points he has in his providing function to maintain: first, his engagements (faithfulness to engagements being the real root of all possibilities in commerce); and, secondly, the perfectness and purity of the thing provided; so that, rather than fail in any engagement, or consent to any deterioration, adulteration, or unjust and exorbitant price of that which he provides, he is bound to meet fearlessly any form of distress, poverty, or labour, which may, through maintenance of these points, come upon him.

Again: in his office as governor of the men employed by him, the merchant or manufacturer is invested with a distinctly paternal authority and responsibility. In most cases, a youth entering a commercial establishment is withdrawn altogether from home influence; his master must become his father, else he has, for practical and constant help, no father at hand; in all cases the master’s authority, together with the general tone and atmosphere of his business, and the character of the men with whom the youth is compelled in the course of it to associate, have more immediate and pressing weight than the home influence, and will usually neutralize it either for good or evil; so that the only means which the master has of doing justice to the men employed by him is to ask himself sternly whether he is dealing with such subordinate as he would with his own son, if compelled by circumstances to take such a position.

Supposing the captain of a frigate saw it right, or were by any chance obliged, to place his own son in the position of a common sailor: as he would then treat his son, he is bound always to treat every one of the men under him. So, also, supposing the master of a manufactory saw it right, or were by any chance obliged, to place his own son in the position of an ordinary workman; as he would then treat his son, he is bound always to treat every one of his men.

This is the only effective, true, or practical Rule which can be given on this point of political economy.

And as the captain of a ship is bound to be the last man to leave his ship in case of wreck, and to share his last crust with the sailors in case of famine, so the manufacturer, in any commercial crisis or distress, is bound to take the suffering of it with his men, and even to take more of it for himself than he allows his men to feel; as a father would in a famine, shipwreck, or battle, sacrifice himself for his son..."

How far away are we from the above in this country?!

But you can see in what the Finns produce, and how, that they must appreciate it.

That's the difference.

One thing I've learned and re-learned again is measure twice - drill/cut once.
;) (y)

In short, I would say that another major difference between Ireland and Finland is that the type of person who enters politics are, by and large, doing it for the vocation it is, and not like the Irish version - which primarily is all about the gouging.

Ireland is sadly very scabby like that.

"peasant-minded" attitude.

Is it possible that the gombeen, cute-hoor mentality goes back to the days of pre-independence? e.g. make an eejit out of the English landlord or politician in Dublin Castle by acting the eejit yourself.

Is it possible that the gombeen, cute-hoor mentality goes back to the days of pre-independence? e.g. make an eejit out of the English landlord or politician in Dublin Castle by acting the eejit yourself.

Point of order here: Val Martin is a landlord with a property in Rathmines, the denizen of Dublin flat-pack life.

Can you imagine having Val as a landlord?

The big smelly ape lumbering into your toilet to take a dump, then asking for tay?

The kind of landlord who'd sit at your table uninvited to pour al the one and two euro coins the peasants tenants handed him earlier, one by one off the table into his left hand while humming the theme tune of 'Hall's Pictorial Weekly' and doing his 'dooty-dooty-dooty-doo, dooty-deety-doo-dee' singalong bit?

I know I'd rather be dead than fall that far.

The big smelly ape lumbering into your toilet to take a dump, then asking for tay?

That's the stuff nightmares are made of. 🤣

Not to mention all of the farting and arse scratching as well. I'd say he's also the sort to help himself in without giving any notice...

"Ahh shure didn't I knock an' der were no answer ?'

And if that doesn't work...

'Shure I own d'place don't I not?'

I can't help wondering who the unfortunate bastards renting from Val are.

Any domestic issues they have, he has to solve for them.

Leaking pipes? Just heat up some electrical tape and wrap it around the hole, then wrap that in clear sellotape: grand.

Dripping taps keeping you awake? 'Here's a few auld ear plugs, I only used them a few times...'

Rats and mice? Val can bring that manky cat that hangs around his barns mousing and chasing rats.

Switches falling off the cooker? 'Here, this vice-grips is great - it took out me two front teeth here, see? Wha'? Gas craic that, wha'?'

Overhead lights not working? Val has a mag-light that defies science in that it has multiple on/off switches though none of them work as they should.

The toilet's blocked again? 'Mister Martin: did you just use the communal toilet on floor one? It's blocked. Again.' (Enter stage left: Val - with a plunger).

Dear Death: please come, please take me next..

Imagine one of his tenants trying to seduce a young beauty over candlelit dinner, then Val barges in.

The poor fella would probably never hear from her again.

Imagine one of his tenants trying to seduce a young beauty over candlelit dinner, then Val barges in.

He'd scarf up the mashed spuds and cabbage like it was nectar of the gods.

The poor fella would probably never hear from her again.

I'd imagine Val's tenants are seventeen Chinese families doing shifts on the bed and in the shower.

I'd imagine Val's tenants are seventeen Chinese families

He probably refers to them as Ching Chong Chinamen 😅

'Here Ching Chong throw us on a cuppa tay like a good lad, but none of dat green shite".

Top Bottom