Home

The Music Thread

"The band of a generation..
Yeah you might say that. :rolleyes:

Generation white britpop mindless fuckwits who essentially missed the whole era they were born into - all the creativity and vitality around in the time of their youth sailing clean over their philistine and lobotomised empty heads.

Another mindless mass movement. :rolleyes:

Baha! Originality

Take a look at any recent Foo Fighters gig and see if you can find one that doesn't feature a member of his family joining in on drums, or some fan in the crowd who plays drums/guitar/bass - the Foos are essentially a Foo Fighters cover band. It's cabaret, not rock and roll. Any originality they the Foos have ended after Taylor Hawkins died.

Grohl refused to allow any Nirvana material be used for any other purpose than entertaining their fans. He's led this theme of their live shows always inviting someone or other join them for this and that. It's not even remotely near what what Cobain was trying to deliver during his brief and pained stardom.

Dave's always rated in the top ten of all time great drummers, and like any other, he readily admits to all sorts of musical influences: just like me and just like my students. I try to help them find their 'inner' voice as a means to help them understand what they're playing 'in the moment' rather than their rudiments, warm-up routines, or physical performance levels. Every musician begins their journey with at least one goal in mind: the least being competent enough to emulate their heroes/influences. For both Grohl and Hawkins, they list Stewart Copeland as their number one kick.

Now, try to apply that mode to Tony McCarrol's shitty 4/4 failures and get back to me.

All that aside, how was your latest Friday night in with your device, big Jim?

Jaze, did he figure out all by himself that the first two chords of DLBIA are the same as Imagine? What other revelations does he have, the guitar riff in Cigarettes & Alcohol is T. Rex?

So you finally get it.

Grand.

Why not you speak English don't you?

No, in Finnish - mostly.

Here's a blaster of 'Supersonic' from Earls Court, 1995.. Notice who's on the drums Mowl.. Whitey

Around 1995 while 'Whitey' was banging the tubs for Oasis, his brother Steve was thumping it for Paul Weller.

By far a superior player.

The critics wrote of the gig -
"Unparalleled"
"Raw, Thumping, Energy"
"The band of a generation.. And how many more?"
(not really I just made that up)

I know.

Because it's obviously bullshit.

Brit-pop seems to have taken you by the nuts and cracked your head off the nearest wall, Jimmy.

That whole Blur/Oasis things was like Fianna Fail vs Fine Gael.

The differences being minimal: and both full of shit.

lol.. How would I not know who Alan McGee is?

Too many tins of Dutch Gold?

He's literally part of Oasis folklore (and I'm their #1 fan)

You big fucking pansy.

Do you have Liam's portrait on the wall to kiss before sleepy-times?

That reminds me.. Had a chat with Weller once. In an airport

You were out begging for odds by the front door?

How much did he give you?

Enough for a six-pack of Dutch Gold?

Too many tins of Dutch Gold?

You big fucking pansy.

Do you have Liam's portrait on the wall to kiss before sleepy-times?
You were out begging for odds by the front door?

How much did he give you?

Enough for a six-pack of Dutch Gold?
No, we were both having a drink at tables and chairs "outdoors" in an airport, both waiting for someone. And we got chatting for a bit. We prossibly arrived on the same flight but I didn't notice that he was on it. It was quite late too so the airport wasn't very busy

No, we were both having a drink at tables and chairs "outdoors" in an airport, both waiting for someone.

You were both waiting for the same person?

What was your angle?

Taxi driving?

Bell-hop?

And we got chatting for a bit.

Like two old ladies in the cheese aisle.

We prossibly arrived on the same flight but I didn't notice that he was on it.

Highly improssible.

It was quite late too so the airport wasn't very busy

And?

And it was more likely that we would strike up a conversation considering that we were the only two people (customers) there

Did you get a nice selfie to show your Da?

Any more stupid questions?

So you met Paul Weller?

Yeah.

Of course you did.

Of course it's more likely in your case that you meet persons of note on public transport where I usually meet them backstage at the AAA bar.

And that's what really pisses you off the most.

Yeah you might say that. :rolleyes:

Generation white britpop mindless fuckwits who essentially missed the whole era they were born into - all the creativity and vitality around in the time of their youth sailing clean over their philistine and lobotomised empty heads.

Another mindless mass movement. :rolleyes:
Hahahahaaa..

From chess to Britpop.. everything's white supremacy to our resident psychotic, anti-white Jew 🤣

I don't think celebrities should be allowed to mix with real people anyway. And mostly they aren't by their managers so that all works out. If you should meet a celebrity just scream repeatedly at them 'FUCK OFF BACK TO THE TELLY, HELLSPAWN,"

I find that usually shifts them.

I don't think celebrities should be allowed to mix with real people anyway.

Agreed, hence that mad night out in Dublin I had with world heavyweight boxing champion Lennox Lewis.

As you'll recall, upon meeting him I asked the simple question: '...and what the fuck are YOU looking at? '

What ensued was sheer bedlam: one of the best night's out in Dublin ever.

And mostly they aren't by their managers so that all works out. If you should meet a celebrity just scream repeatedly at them 'FUCK OFF BACK TO THE TELLY, HELLSPAWN,"

Lennox dumped his crew and left by the back door with me and a mate (who drove a tiny car like Delboy's two-seat three wheeler Reliant Regal).

Lennox sat upfront, so the whole car leaned to one side, and I was in the back trying to counter his weight when we turned corners.

I find that usually shifts them.

Nobody would take our money: Mulligan's, The Palace Bar, The Long Hall, and then Lillie's Bordello - with me in my painty-dungarees.

Best night out ever.

You don't know who Xurious is?

No.

I don't fucking care who Xurion is.

Different thing altogether, Shay.

I like musicians who can play their instruments, not the type who use the demonstration tune on the latest plastic keyboard from Taiwan as a backing track.

No surprises there (that might give you an idea for a Radiohead song)

Radiohead have passed their prime. I've seen them three times, but never paid for the tickets. I make my own, you see. It's one of the better sidelines of being a calligrapher and design artist: I look at the poster advertising the show, see which record they're touring, collect the tiny amount of information required, and then head down to the print shop to run off a few laminated AAA passes which are shared among my crew and a method of two in/one out employed to get us all in through the stage door/backstage gate.

I met Johnny Greenwood before Radiohead played The Olympia back in the early 90s: he was having a beer with his lady in the Globe, one of my old haunts. I mentioned that the gig was totally sold out for weeks and that tickets were at a premium. He apologized that he couldn't get me in on the guest list as their management handled that, so I showed him a laminate of my own and he bust a nut laughing. Later that evening, I got somewhere between fourteen to sixteen friends in. They rewarded my stunt with copious amounts of free beer during and after the show.

Do I ever feel bad about forging passes? Fuck no. If someone did it to get into a gig I was playing, I'd congratulate them. As would many artists, like Bowie, whose (very tight guest list) show at The Factory production studio I attended. He introduced his wife, Iman. He was cool, down to earth and up for a laugh. Same with many other international artists I've met over the years. So I handed him my fake AAA and he bust a nut laughing. So did Jamiroquai. As did Sade. Not Van Morrison though, because I know better than to approach him. He's not people friendly, so it's best to keep a safe distance.

Life's supposed to be fun, Jimmy.

A little ducking and diving can open many doors to those adventurous enough to blag their way in.

This is how I rub shoulders with the global elite in many different areas of art, music, and sport.

I know it bothers you that your life thus far has only washed you up on the shores of losers like Coldcut/Woodbines/Magron.

But that's not my fault - it's your own.

Try to live a bit before you die, Jimmy - y'know: enjoy yourself.

It's later than you think.

Top Bottom