Home

The Flat Earth Thread

Religion is where the majority of the community put their faith.

Today our gods are let us say, "secular".

All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours. - Aldous Huxley.

It is the innovation of the current religion that it decides to call itself "that which is not religion".

Well perhaps not that innovative, because it is similar as previously Christianity decided to call itself "that which is not superstition", to try and distance itself from the previous religions of that time.

I think you are just insistent on trying to value religion at the same level as science. Probably because you are religious. The fact that you keep referring to science and secular thought as alternative 'gods' is a sign of your concern or fear for religion and an inability to discern between the two things.

As for the majority of the community putting their faith in religion I would just point out that billions of flies think shit is wonderful. Does that mean shit is wonderful beyond any doubt?

Christianity is one of the poorer examples of religions to try to put out as an equivalence to science and scientific progress. Historically it is a mishmash of plagiarisms of other religions, a patchwork of contributions which we know is derived from many sources and doesn't even have the benefit of originality. It is a corporate product arrived at by one of the western world's earliest multinational corporations and enough is known about it and of course the other two Abrahamic religions that we really should be aware by now it is all founded on the ravings of singular desert lunatics.

Everything since Abraham is supposed to have awoken from a visitation of a god while lying among the bones of animal sacrifices in a trance is an amended product, the sources of which are known.

The fact that billions of flies think that particular pile should be valued is neither here nor there.

Going back to the subject 'flat earthism' is just another attempt by priests to describe a flock. Someone somewhere will be making money out of it in the same way that Mr Kellogg made money out of both cornflakes and amusingly also out of retreats where wealthy women of his era came to have their genitals manipulated for their health.

The most sucessful products on the market are those which answer a defined need. And religion answers a defined need in many people, hence its sales graphs.

I'll have a go.
Of course, if I had completed the entry I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time with the theoretical physicist's (innocuous) comment (trying to prove what a big brain I have) when a simple definition would have done -

What I would have done then is focus on the flat-earth creationist's pigeonholing of that into - su-doh-sci-unce. He literally said it about a half dozen times in the video.

That's their "argument", they're still at it -

Post in thread 'To The Moon' https://www.sarsfieldsvirtualpub.com/threads/to-the-moon.162/post-40443

Sure, what this guy says that in his field "it's leaps of logic, it's guesswork", is absolutely true.

But obviously the idiot making the youtube video, or the lads on Arsefields or Jambo for that matter, don't understand what he is actually talking about.

It was not an "inadvertent" comment, and Jambo's rephrasing of it is not what he said either.

Where do we start. Well first, what do most people mean by "the scientific method"? Well no doubt, most people don't have a clue, they just try to make appeal to the authority of science, without really understanding what it is.

But by and large what they are referring to is "inductive reasoning". - In contrast to deductive reasoning (which dominated science since Aristotle) inductive reasoning is testing and refining hypotheses by observing, measuring, and experimenting. It was systematically introduced to "science" in the seventeenth century by Francis Bacon.

Now the problem is in theoretical physics that for the most part, there is rarely anything tangible to observe, measure, or experiment on, is there. (Of course you have the CERN collider which aims to add this element of observe, measure, and experiment to the theoretical work, but most of the time observing, measuring, and experimenting is impractical. And noting their work rarely begins from observation either).

So for the most part, 99.9% of the time, what theoretical physicists do is leaps of logic and guesswork. They put these leaps into the language of mathematics and see do those leaps make sense in the exact language odf mathematics.

Actually what all science consists of is a series of best guesses, at heart. You then draw on logic and mathematics and so on to develop a theory that supports your best conjecture (as an experienced scientist, in other words, we are typically talking about educated guesses).

And when you have the theory satisfactory, when it stands up to peer criticism perhaps, then you try and go out and test it in the real world to try and find a case that disproves it (not proves it).

For example when Einstein made his leaps of logic and guesses to work out his general theory of relativity in mathematics, he then went and sought out some phenomenon that might disprove his theory. He was lucky in being able to get Arthur Eddington on an expedition to Africa to observe an eclipse of the sun, to observe starlight passing close to the sun to see if it was deflected in agreement with his idea. Einstein said, "If the redshift of spectral lines due to the gravitational potential should not exist, then the general theory of relativity will be untenable."

But much of his time, as a scientist, was spent in leaps of logic and best guesses.

Anyway, people guffaw for various reasons at the true statement that science consists of "... leaps of logic, it's guesswork...". That's because they don't understand what the man is saying - they don't know what this scientist knows, they know only what they themselves know, and they judge his statement on that basis, on their own ignorance.

This is a terribly common affliction in the internet age.

Of course, if I had completed the entry I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time with the theoretical physicist's (innocuous) comment...........................
And you demonstrate here a shallow understanding of science too.

Obstinately so it appears, as the point in his comment was explained to you above, and the reasons why it was not an innocuous comment, or an inadvertent comment (as you characterised it earlier) --- in consideration that it is certainly true that most people do not adequately understand the importance of the role in science of guesswork, intuition, the subjective personal participation of the scientist, his or her passionate sense of increasing contact with reality, or the personal involvement of the scientist in all acts of understanding.

You didn't understand his comment, and when it was elucidated somewhat for you, you still didn't want to understand it.

That's their "argument", they're still at it
Forget those morons on arsefield's they are far beyond redemption, they can't tell their arse from their elbow. Whereas I suspect you could if you at least tried, or got over whatever is preventing you from telling those parts of your anatomy apart.

Jambo's never done trying to prove himself to whomever it is he's trying to irritate on any given day.

It's 100% born of massive insecurity and the wish to be 'loved' by someone - anyone at all.

Mammy died young, you see.

Obstinately so it appears, as the point in his comment was explained to you above, and the reasons why it was not an innocuous comment, or an inadvertent comment (as you characterised it earlier) --- in consideration that it is certainly true that most people do not adequately understand the importance of the role in science of guesswork, intuition, the subjective personal participation of the scientist, his or her passionate sense of increasing contact with reality, or the personal involvement of the scientist in all acts of understanding.

You didn't understand his comment, and when it was elucidated somewhat for you, you still didn't want to understand it.

Forget those morons on arsefield's they are far beyond redemption, they can't tell their arse from their elbow.

Whereas I suspect you could if you at least tried, or got over whatever is preventing you from telling those parts of your anatomy apart.

I think you're over-estimating Jambo's cop-on.

He still doesn't know shit from shinola - so his boots stink to high heaven.

He's beyond hopeless - he has nothing.

Obstinately so it appears, as the point in his comment was explained to you above, and the reasons why it was not an innocuous comment, or an inadvertent comment (as you characterised it earlier)
Not that it should have been necessary (other than you being a functional retard) to say that what I said was sarcasm, duh fucking duh, but I already did tell you, that it was sarcasm.

Yet you just come with more soapbox duncery

--- in consideration that it is certainly true that most people do not adequately understand the importance of the role in science of guesswork, intuition, the subjective personal participation of the scientist, his or her passionate sense of increasing contact with reality, or the personal involvement of the scientist in all acts of understanding.

Forget those morons on arsefield's they are far beyond redemption, they can't tell their arse from their elbow. Whereas I suspect you could if you at least tried, or got over whatever is preventing you from telling those parts of your anatomy apart.

"Soapbox duncery". Is that like "flobby belly", an inside joke only understood by the witless fucking eejit who thought of it.

Mongo still making noise I see in the hope of being noticed. Like every village idiot ever known. The great thing about the internet is that it has given a communications medium to the vast majority. The worst thing about the internet is that it has given a communications medium to the vast majority.

Every village idiot has a smartphone. Which is in itself a paradox.

I think I hit him just below the belt: he can't stand up for himself any more - he knows he's been found out for what he is.

He's been lying for so long he actually believes his own spoofs.

Several name changes indicating several occasions of defeat, he's like the guy down the other end of the bar nobody likes and who pipes up with his 'and another thing' two hours after the argument has ended. He has little shame or self-awareness, but that's the classic profile of the spoofer with time on his hands. Needs to be seen as something more than he actually is, classic self loathing.

He carries his hymn sheet in his arse pocket. When he needs a reply he turns to the handbook for answers not of his own making.

Ireland is full of followers, it's one more reason why the island is so badly broken.

Few have the courage of their convictions and they love the sound of their own voices.

"Soapbox duncery". Is that like "flobby belly", an inside joke only understood by the witless fucking eejit who thought of it.

The sheer childishness and simpery of these stupid bastards is surreal, their petty little causes and the desire to be right even once in their bullshit half-arsed predictions of oncoming doom so that they can stand triumphant at the collapse of everything and see their few shillings of wrought iron tossed out onto the table in victory.

They serve one good purpose though: a reminder of why I did the right thing and left it all behind to start again, tabula rasa.

Beyond that they're parasites clinging onto the rock, the tide coming in and battering them - like the Atlantic Ocean eating into the rock of Ireland, slowly sinking her back into the cleansing waters and silencing her forever. Let her die with her sins still on her black soul.

Mongo still making noise I see in the hope of being noticed. Like every village idiot ever known. The great thing about the internet is that it has given a communications medium to the vast majority. The worst thing about the internet is that it has given a communications medium to the vast majority.

Aye - and of course the one thing he's overlooked: the more defiant he's become about these lofty ideals about race, the more lame it looks, the more it stinks, the more clowns are needed to keep the three-ringed circus chugging along the dirt and down into the sewers.

He has no cause - only the relaying of other confused voices who can't cope with the world moving steadily along her own path.

Every village idiot has a smartphone. Which is in itself a paradox.

Every site has its dunce.

Looks like we found ours.

Sinead's take on Jambo's "nationalism", have a listen:

(from 3mins 50s if the video doesn't jump to that time itself.)

lol You think a lefty millionaire in the entertainment business is likely to have anything interesting or original to say against nationalism? 😆

And let's face it, Sinead was hardly a towering intellect

lol You think a lefty millionaire in the entertainment business is likely to have anything interesting or original to say against nationalism? 😆

She did more in any one day of her life than you will in your entire miserable existence.

It doesn't remotely surprise me that you're friendless and alone in this world.

So it's no wonder to me that you're so fucking angry.

Intellectual discourse wasn't her gig - she used simple language and tiny actions to cause great change to Ireland and her citizens.

That you're incapable of achieving anything of any substance thus far in your life doesn't surprise me either.

When you die, the only change that'll occur will be the hole in the ground they bury your sad carcass in.

Go join your mother in the dirt - tell her all about how you're a nationalist of some stripe or other.

You have nothing, Dawson - nothing.

She did more in any one day of her life than you will in your entire miserable existence.
Your little man crushes are cute 😊

It doesn't remotely surprise me that you're friendless and alone in this world.

So it's no wonder to me that you're so fucking angry.
Intellectual discourse wasn't her gig - she used simple language and tiny actions to cause great change to Ireland and her citizens.
lol Sure she did Mowl, sure she did

As an aside, leftism has not brought any change for the betterment of the Irish people, the complete opposite is true

That you're incapable of achieving anything of any substance thus far in your life doesn't surprise me either.

When you die, the only change that'll occur will be the hole in the ground they bury your sad carcass in.

Go join your mother in the dirt - tell her all about how you're a nationalist of some stripe or other.

You have nothing, Dawson - nothing.

I distinctly recall advising you to shut up, Mongo. We both know you've had nothing to contribute to the sum of contemporary culture since the death of Big Tom. Or 'the day the muzak died' down your way.

a lefty millionaire in the entertainment business
Jesus Christ. Is that what it's all about? Envy?

You sad fucking twat.

You are like a toad or a gnat passing judgement on the mental capacities of a nobel prize winner. I.e. It takes one to know one, and the converse holds too.

Sinead was almost unsurpassedly honest. Perhaps the most important intellectual quality.

She was highly articulate. She had empathy and extremely high emotional intelligence.

Whereas what have you got in the intellectual stakes?

You claim high IQ yet apart from a certain capacity to calculate you clearly have an intellect so fucking barren, lifeless, unoriginal and utterly boring that you'd almost gouge your own eyes out listening to you.

What happened you? I bet you took an IQ test once, did well, and got put in a box for the rest of your life.

A box you've been trying to escape from so long that all these years later you are left with nothing. For true, you have nothing.

And you envy those who do, is that it?

Top Bottom