Home

Nordic News

Is Finland as sports-obsessed as countries such as Ireland, England and America? In Ireland if you're not into GAA, soccer and rugby you're seen as some kind of social pariah. Same thing if you quit drinking and don't go to the pub.

One thing I like about the Japanese is that they don't treat sports as if it were some religion...or the be-all and end-all of one's existence. You can be a grown man and enjoy video games etc. In most Western countries you're seen as some kind of pussy if you don't follow xyz sports club with an almost religious fanaticism.

Is Finland as sports-obsessed as countries such as Ireland, England and America? In Ireland if you're not into GAA, soccer and rugby you're seen as some kind of social pariah.

Not really, but then again nature of Finnish 'sports' are viewed kind of differently: ice hockey is very big, but only in winter (obviously) and as you know, there are many world class Finnish rally drivers. This is borne out of the condition of roads way up north into the wilds. Dirt tracks mostly, but they use them every day for business etc. Then they drive out for supper, have some drinks, then rally the car home again along the dirt tracks.

In short, staying active matters, and if fast cars are your thing in Finland, then so long as you're off the main roads you won't meet too many people, let alone coppers. Finnish 'fun' sports include the wife-carrying competition, the world air guitar championships, the world sauna championship (lots of dead Russians thinking they 'hard') the mobile phone throwing competition, mud soccer (about half to three quarters of a meter deep - men's teams and women's teams) the wood chopping championships, and loads of other eccentric sports they invented - because they had to.

Like playing The Mowl in Dublin: the game is borne of necessity. DCC gave us nothing but brick houses and we had to campaign hard to keep the green of Markievicz Park for cricket and football. So back then we invented games based on what we had to hand.

Classic old photo taken in the Liberties way back in time.

Being surrounded by the massive industrial estates that almost entirely surround Dublin 10, stealing crisps and peanuts from the King's Crisps factory was a handy earner for me. I considered it a tax for all the foul air that emanated from their factories. I stole them, then stored them, then sold them in the yard at half price. I needed sticks, heads, bits and pieces and the money had to be got from somewhere.

I was never caught either - I always had a plan.

Same thing if you quit drinking and don't go to the pub.

The Asian couple who just took over the pub here on my block threw a big fuck-off barbecue out on the square for all the tenants to enjoy the food, music, drinks, and sunshine. I don't use the pub myself, far too close to home and I know everyone and they know me. So no thanks, I enjoy my privacy.

That said, pubs aren't high on my agenda either and unless there's a jazz quartet or something DJ going, then I wouldn't be bothered. In the Nordic tradition, meeting up at a friend's place before going out is a massive money saver: have your major drinks at home, take a small one in your pocket and when you get to the club/venue, and you only need one or two drinks to pass the time without breaking the bank.

One thing I like about the Japanese is that they don't treat sports as if it were some religion...or the be-all and end-all of one's existence.

Japanese television shows are mental: like the games without frontiers period.

You can be a grown man and enjoy video games etc. In most Western countries you're seen as some kind of pussy if you don't follow xyz sports club with an almost religious fanaticism.

I'm watching the games on telly the last few days - we get two live games a night (no pay per view) and at least two more highlights.

Japanese people find humiliation funny, and I asked Yoko about that. She said that the childish games we see adults playing on TV are supposed to be motivational rather than embarrassing, but like the Finns, the Japanese have a very dark sense of humour and will lampoon themselves before you do.

But of all the games - I still love the idea of playing the Mowl.

Nobody does it anymore but if went into a pub in Ballyer and said the word allowed, then the craic begins immediately.

They'll also mention my real name.

Last edited:
Good for eating too, if that's your taste.

I've tried venison in many different ways, it's tough and chewy, strong in aftertaste but goes down really well with a decent red wine.

You need a license to shoot deer up here, if you're caught poaching, you'll be slapped with a massive cash fine.

In fact you need a license to shoot any wild creature, even the ones that attack you - like bears and wolves.

That's why it's called 'The Wilds'.

On one tour back in the 90's we played in a little Swedish town called Trollhattan, which is also the scene for the annual Swedish Hell's Angels and Nazi League lads to get together and show off their tattoos and fat bikes. They came to the gig, drank their beer, clapped for every song, and later sent a round of drinks for us. Some of the other musicians were seeing Scandinavian life for the first time, and remarked how agreeable and welcoming these bikers were.

Back then you'd see some darker skin in the bigger cities but none at all in the midland towns.

On the weekend they did their big parade skidding and roaring their engines, and the worst they did was to pour a bottle of washing up liquid into the fountain in the middle of the main street. They spent a lot of money on food, drinks, decent hotels, and gas for their engines. The locals said it was an annual thing and they'd never had any problems with the bikers, the only messy stuff they saw was what the bikers did to each other. Silly childish stuff like stealing one bloke's boots and placing them on the top of the fountain and he had to search high and low for them. Another guy had the keys to his bike taken and he had to try to remember which bars they were in last night as his keys were now on a shelf in the gent's toilets.

Fnar fnar.

No knives, no blood, no guns, no coppers rustling up a scene, no puke or piss, and no violence of any kind - only cross-gang game playing.

These days I wouldn't play there if you tripled my money.

Sweltering heat in Helsinki today.

We're sitting pretty at thirty degrees (that's Celsius, Jambo) and not a cloud in the blue skies.

I have a sauna booked from 1800/1900 - but it feels like I'm already in it with this heat.

Had to get up in the night to catch and crush a few mosquitoes, otherwise I get lousy infections that swell up like golf balls. Then close the windows and doors to stop them coming back in, sleeping in ridiculous heat. So I bought some repellents earlier: a spray for the face and hands and incense-type burners that smell awful but they clear the room of any flying bugs. Burn it for half an hour and they either find a way out or drop dead.

I hate mosquito season.

Top Bottom