Home

The Music Thread

Always thought it'd be awesome to own a whole factory floor type apartment, leave all the old machinery where it is and adapt to life like that.

Of course, it'd cost multiple millions these days as the desirable areas like Hell's Kitchen and Brooklyn are bursting at the seams.

Here's Beastie Boys classic 'Paul's Boutique' in full - it just SMELLS of New York's sleazier areas and groupings.

Been wondering why the song by Knower I posted yesterday sounds kind of familiar.

It's this one from the Danish band Mew: massive in Japan.

Mew have a habit of writing in unusual keys and tunings, as do Knower, except this track from Mew is twenty years old by now.

This one goes out to Mandy Anderson, awarded the Guinness Book Of Records 'Spottiest Culchie In Ireland' award for 2024.

Well done, Mandy - next up they'll be giving you another Pope JPII award for 'bringing the youth of the west of Ireland into a closer relationship with Christ, our lord and saviour.' You gotta lotta class, Kid - but it ain't your time just yet.

Up Glenamaddy! Hon, yiz good things!

I see Jambo came crawling back. Well here's a good one in honour - a black man who could beat nearly all white men with one hand tied behind his back, playing the funk.

There's one of Buddy Rich, a very famous clip with his big band where in the middle of his solo he had an actual heart attack. He played all the way through it regardless and finished not just the song but the set, then went backstage to see his doctor. Buddy Rich was an intense and demanding fucker. Drop a note or miss a spot and he'll tear the flesh off you in the bus later on.

I've heard a few freak-outs of his at his orchestra and it isn't pretty.
He set the highest standards and reminded his players they they mostly had academic studies and ought to know more than he did.
He worked the circus circuit when he was a kid, that's where he got those chops from.
A monster player, yeah: but a nasty bastard of exceptional scale.

This video's the full version including an introduction by Sinatra.
Watch Buddy change poise and start trying to contain the attack at 6.06: breathing techniques can only do so much.
But when you're straining every nerve, tendon, and muscle to play like that, you really need an oxygen tank.

Mowl Mowl can you help us out here?

You're always talking about maths and numbers in music but this is a little over my head, what's he on about? 🤔 -

Okay. He's basically (either) using two mono delay pedals: one is sending the signal to stage left and is playing twice the number of strums/picks he makes while the other is sent to stage right with four times the number of strums/picks/harmonic notes. He's in the middle controlling all of it and he hears all three signals in the monitors at his feet.

Or else he's one stereo delay which is sending one signal to the left and one more to the right at the same time but each side has a different setting in how many repeats it's giving: two the right and four to the left. Or he could (if he wished) double them up and get an even more intense response. It's a simple enough mathematical equation and the pedal illustrates the options on its simple few switches.

The trick with using a delay pedal (not an echo pedal) is in staying in time with yourself. Annoyingly enough, the one guy who has the world at his feet for using this technique is Ed Sheeran. Sadly, he's really good at it too, most likely as a direct result of having so many years experience doing it on the streets as a busker.

One of the earliest uses of delay pedals (and room size/frequency scale) is by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin playing his solo part on 'Dazed And Confused' from the double live album The Song Remains The Same recorded at Madison Square Gardens. Page set it up nicely: during soundcheck, he measured how long it took for the kick drum to bounce back off the far wall. Then he set his delay to the same time/space so that when his solo section came around, he used a violin/cello bow to slap the six strings of his guitar and then he hears it bounce off the walls at the other end of the space - so he began to 'play with time' in a way nobody had seen or heard before. He was using the exact length of space from where he stood on the stage to the back of the hall (from where the 'bounce' hits and returns to sender) to create a solo based on what he played and what the space gave him back. So he ended up with a repeat that was in 'time' with the length of the room to create something nobody ever heard before. Like so:

These days delays are used all the time. Edge uses an array of them. Little do most people know of the intricacies of his guitar playing. He knows his own sound so well he can separate each of the six strings and know if he likes it or not. Quite a feat when using a delay at the same time.

I use a standard Boss DD2 stereo delay pedal set at my left foot beside the hi-hat pedal. I can switch it on or off with the heel of my foot while playing. Depending on the settings, I can add it to whatever item on the kit/module/monitor/desk the designated microphone is pointed at (usually the snare for me) that I've either marked it (on paper sellotape) in tempo with the song I'm about to play or else I'm guessing at it and trying to keep a dub-style delay in harmony/tempo with the song. Once I select the predetermined measure, the song begins and I can play with the delay by stomping it on and off wherever I think it works best.

There are a few select options here, and if you look at them closely you can see the options. Halves, quarters, eights, sixteenths, etc. It also has a 'Hold' option which is basically a simple sampler that'll keep repeating until you turn it off. If you keep adding layers, eventually it'll collapse and turn into white noise/feedback - which in itself is sometimes a desirable thing too.

Ed Sheeran uses a more complex version of more or less the same thing: he can play a rhythm part on his acoustic guitar and allow the unit to record that part. When its reached its end, he stomps on the looping switch and the part he just recorded plays back to him in a loop (it starts, it reaches the end and it starts again automatically and seamlessly). Once the loop is set up it'll keep playing until he stomps on it again. So while it is playing, he has a melody and a rhythm under him. He can add more loops to the first one as he goes along and he builds each song he's playing loop by loop until he's getting to the end of the song where he can switch each loop off gradually/one by one until there's nothing left and the song ends to rapturous applause.

It's only the end bit that confuses me, ie: the rapturous applause.

So. Imagine you have your headphones on and a guitar in your hands. You have your guitar sent to a delay box at your feet and from there to the PA. You're using a stereo delay which has one mono input and two (L/R) outputs. You send output R to your right and set it at one repeat, then you send output L to the left with two repeats. Now hit your guitar just once across all strings. What you hear is one repeat from the right and two more from the left which you can EQ/treat separately and they'll both stay in time with each other if you set them correctly.

Continued -

Continued here for video listing purposes:

Some players use just one mono delay stomp box so that (for example) when they move from a rhythm part to a solo part, they can stomp on the pedal and then step up front into the limelight and sound fucking awesome because now their signal is twice as fat when used to sustain the notes being played. Or they can sound really fucking dumb - it depends on whose playing it really.

For drums, the original master of delay use is of course Stewart Copeland. You know exactly what it (the method) is too just by recalling the classic 'Walking On The Moon' groove, a pop hit single with some of the first use of delays in the genre. Listen with your ear-goggles on and try to remain aware of left and right as two separate parts. the first thing you'll note is that the delays are present on every part of the kit for the intro and then the delay unit is stomped off by foot at the beginning of the verse. As the song progresses, he can select (with his feet) which delay he's using (he has more than one) so that when he plays the hi-hats in simple fours or eights, the delay gives him back eights and sixteenths. If he shuffles/swings it, the delay flows across the flourish repeating in a more musical than rhythmic way, kind of like dub-style reggae.

Listen to how the whole drum-set seems to move and shift from ear-goggle left and ear-goggle right:

During some parts of the song he adds the delay to only the snare drum for cross-sticking (when you lay the stick flat on the drum and click it off the metal rim) and at other times for the hi-hats only. There's always some spill from one mic or the other (Stewart's a bit punk like that) and it can get messy at times. The master player knows this and will use the messy aspect for exactly that purpose if required. It's really an infinite range of options. Delays can be singular, doubled, or even tripled. It's when you're playing triplets it can be tricky for the beginner, but for the more experienced player it's time for some chaotic fun. If it gets too far out of hand, then you can simply stomp it off with your foot and keep playing.

But managing to use a delay seamlessly is the goal: for example, hitting a high note on your guitar and sending it to the delay will make it sound like one long continuous note (think the hook-line on 'Heroes' by David Bowie as played by Robert Fripp) which you can bend and twist to make it screech and blend like cream in your coffee.

I had mine set up in the lounge at home. I'd turn on the news and send the sound signal through the various outboard units I had set up: reverb made the newsreader sound like they were broadcasting from the heavens, echo made it turn into tripped out chaos, and a delay made it all Lee Scratch Perry where you could take a sentence of conversation and 'hold' it in the pedal, flipping it back onto the live voice like it was two of the same person yapping. Sometimes I might have a lady in the house and I'd use it to see if she had ears for these things. Some reacted straight away, others just looked confused and said nothing.

Delays are great fun, go to a music store and try one out, use a microphone - send it into the pedal and from there into an amp.

After five minutes of playing around, you'll have it nailed and know exactly how to use it for best expression of what you're doing.

I also use one of these, which is a classic old multi-effect rack module unit (for stage/studio) called the Yamaha SPX90 MkII from the 1980s. It has a variety of delays, echoes, reverb, vibrato, auto-pan (automatic left/right repeats) distortion, chorus, flange, overdrive, and several more. One hundred self-designed patches are available and you can pre-set them to exact settings and recall any of them either by hand or by a foot switch according to their assigned name/number:

They're neither rare nor expensive, but they are rather sturdy and well built: mine's been on the road and in the studio for over three or four decades and still works like new. The delays in the SPX are sweet, they take further processing well and they hold up in any situation. Some players use them only for tempo at the beginning of a song: hit a mic connected to the module and it'll repeat a delay tempo you preset earlier. Now you have the exact tempo to count the other players in with. Some, like me - leave it on and fuck around with things until the singer steps up. Others turn it off immediately in case they start hearing beats/repeats that aren't part of the song arrangement. It can get very confusing very fast and if you lose your balance you're going to fall from a great height and have to stop the song or find a way to get back into place with the other players. Make that same mistake twice and you're fired.

Continued -

Continued -

Here's a chap I know well from my teenage years playing around Ireland.

Gerry went on to become Bowie's chief arranger and then co-writer of half of Bowie's penultimate album.

He's the sweetest bloke you'll ever meet and rather awesome with his guitar playing, but this is a simple video showing you the basics of how to loop and delay parts for your own convenience when performing. I simply couldn't countenance using an Ed Sheeran video, because fuck him.

Top Bottom