Home

Nordic News

There is a tour of the Winter War coming up, and it is led by Bob Kershaw, the man is an amazing author, and as a WWII buff who has read hundreds of books on the Eastern Front, the invasion of Europe, and the Pacific War, Kershaw wrote one of my all time favorite books, "War Without Garlands" about the first year of the Gernan invasion of Russia, ending the story in the Spring of 1942. I'd love to go on any tour with Bob Kershaw.

I'd say you might enjoy the Inspector Pekkala mystery series, odanny. https://www.faber.co.uk/product/9780571337958-the-inspector-pekkala-mysteries/

An unusual look from an unusual angle at Finland, Russia and Germany in the years between the Russian revolution and WWII with a very compelling central character set against momentous events and a background you'll be familiar with.

Given the area you like to study I'd say you might enjoy these books. Very well written.

There is a tour of the Winter War coming up, and it is led by Bob Kershaw, the man is an amazing author, and as a WWII buff who has read hundreds of books on the Eastern Front, the invasion of Europe, and the Pacific War, Kershaw wrote one of my all time favorite books, "War Without Garlands" about the first year of the Gernan invasion of Russia, ending the story in the Spring of 1942. I'd love to go on any tour with Bob Kershaw.

I like Kershaw's shows. His presentation style is down to earth and uncomplicated, even if the subject matter at hand is very complicated. And The Winter War is still foremost in the minds of all Finnish youth. It's a subject they study as part of their national conscription: if they're not out ranging the forests and left to fend for themselves for days on end, then they're study indoors learning about the various aspects and approached taken by Finland to defend herself in the Winter War.

Themes like the greased lightning of Finnish troop in winter whites whizzing across the snow cross-country style (we have few mountains) and taking out teams of Russian troops on the move from position to position. Cross-country skiing is used every day up here, even today. Last winter I found it highly amusing that the local bar on my block, Olotila, sectioned off an area by the front door for skiers to park their skis under a heat lamp so that when they set out after leaving, the skis cut easily into the snow and ice to give them a head start.

With Russian convoys of tanks the ruse was simple enough, but Finnish in style: the coordinates are sent via code/radio and the Finns know where the lines are, so they split up, half for the front end and half at the rear end. At the signal, a Finnish troop whizzes by the leading tank and drops a log into the metal tracks. It's not strong enough to break it, but it will stop the tank from moving for a short while. meanwhile down the rear end - same deal. So when the lids begin to open on the tank top, a camouflaged Finns hops up and drops a grenade in through the hatch Blam! Dead. First and last positions first, then a random attack on as many tanks as open their hatches or mini side windows. The accumulated soldiers who finally surrender are marched of into captivity. By then every tank has been completely disabled.

Deeper into the winter, the soldiers on both sides are cold and hungry. Minus forty-five averages, but often even colder. So the Finnish ladies of Lotta Svard were put to work melting down rain tracks from the west of the country. The metal was used to forge massive iron cooking units on irons wheels - skis could be added. That way, the Finnish troop are fed and warmed up as frequently as possible. Sadly the masses of Russian troops were ill-equipped and utterly starving, so the Finns used the cookers to draw them in. The lookout sees a huge cooker, and maybe five or ten soldiers standing next to it. The smell goes out, and the Russians are starving, so they surrounded the cooker and pick off the Finns, only to find they're dead Russian soldiers in Finnish winter whites. Then the whole company of Finns hiding in the snow pick the whole lot of them. It was fabled as 'The Sausage Wars' and is still a favourite winter barbecue and sauna party favourite national story.

There are a few Winter War documentaries and drama films available online, and the one by the BBC is actually really good. You can find a few that might suit your interests here:

lol

After pressure from Soros NGOs like Amnesty International and Bonnier & Anglo-Jewish media, Finland has formalized its suicide adopting Western style anti-racism legislation.

Soon Somali women will be on the board of Nokia and Finnish men will be restricted from positions of influence in the land their grandfathers went to war on skis against Soviet tanks to defend.

Holocaust revision will be made a crime and there's even talk Nazi symbols will be outlawed. This, in a nation that was essentially allied with Germany, whose modern hero is Mannerheim and whose air force retained a swastika symbol until 2020.

Oh and the low IQ checkout girl whore Sanna Marin is now working for Tony Blair's globalist institute.

NATO comes at you fast.

Doom for Finland - again!

Oh dear, I must don my tinfoil hat to try to protect myself from Sanna's fall-out post-NATO.

I have a hiding place all sorted out: in the sauna, where Somali's refuse point blank to go. I'll strap myself under the highest bench in the hottest sauna ever recorded, thereby killing two birds with one bucket of cold water. Poor auld Nokia - they'll have to return to making tyres and wellington boots instead of phones. Oh, wait: didn't they fold already? Damn.

Doom for Finland - again!

Oh dear, I must don my tinfoil hat to try to protect myself from Sanna's fall-out post-NATO.

I have a hiding place all sorted out: in the sauna, where Somali's refuse point blank to go. I'll strap myself under the highest bench in the hottest sauna ever recorded, thereby killing two birds with one bucket of cold water. Poor auld Nokia - they'll have to return to making tyres and wellington boots instead of phones. Oh, wait: didn't they fold already? Damn.

Is this post making any more sense to you now? 🤔 -

Post in thread 'Race is real versus race is a social construct.' https://islepoli.com/threads/race-is-real-versus-race-is-a-social-construct.53/post-2410

And yeah, the low IQ checkout girl (chortle) has bailed on Finnish politics at the tender age of what, 28. Didn't we always tell you that she was a globalist plant.. are we STILL eh, conspiracy theorists Mowl?!

Is this post making any more sense to you now? 🤔 -

As per?

Fuck no.

Ah, a link from Jambo.

Guess what?

And yeah, the low IQ checkout girl (chortle) has bailed on Finnish politics at the tender age of what, 28.

She's done more in the last two years than you'll ever do in a lifetime.

Besides, she's under no obligation to serve anyone but herself and her family.

Didn't we always tell you that she was a globalist plant.. are we STILL eh, conspiracy theorists Mowl?!

Who?

You and the Shitstick?

No, of course not: you're idiots - jealous, envious, bitter, hopeless, fucked up, and likely as ugly as sin.

Not to mention old and wrinkly - about as attractive a proposition as a dinner engagement with Val Martin and Saul Bucket.

I have decided. On mature reflection and after reading a considerable amount about Finns I have decided that I will not unilaterally invade Finland. That nation can stand down.

Finnish cities promoting cycling as environmentally friendly alternative to driving.

Slightly off-topic but I think the Social Democrats might be Ireland's answer to the Nordic model.

They don't do very well at the national level unfortunately, but Catherine Murphy gets elected in Leixlip every time. A great woman who cares about the local community she is representing. Perhaps they'll form part of a potential future coalition which ousts FFG...which would be a first in the state's history, and long overdue.

Slightly off-topic but I think the Social Democrats might be Ireland's answer to the Nordic model.

They don't do very well at the national level unfortunately, but Catherine Murphy gets elected in Leixlip every time. A great woman who cares about the local community she is representing. Perhaps they'll form part of a potential future coalition which ousts FFG...which would be a first in the state's history, and long overdue.

Technically they should be but then again it is worth remembering that occasionally in Irish political affairs someone ostensibly picks up on an international trend, launches a game-changer which the game in Ireland then gradually turns back into a variety of Progressive Democrats versus everyone else. A new name on an old bottle.

The Greens are a classic of that kind. I'm pretty sure that grassroots Greens who assumed that the Green Party in Ireland would be like the Green Party in Germany or Netherlands or Denmark are pretty disappointed by now to find that their leadership have propped up as minority coalition partners one or other of the old Scuffle In the Countryside parties.

The Progressive Democrats were ostensibly an updating of Irish politics at one time except they turned out to be supercharged versions of the Scuffle in the Countryside parties. Underneath apparent attempts at change in Ireland are generally the old verities- land, property, social conservatism, bulwark against the new thing arising, the skin-deep vernacular of change. It is just re-branding old product a lot of the time.

It is an island off the west coast of Europe, land and property fixated, socially and economically a series of cartels resistant to change and in many cases afraid of change. I wouldn't expect a lot. Probably not much will change until such time as the 'New Irish' start electing representatives of their own because they almost certainly won't be voting Fianna Fail or Fine Gael. Bit of a paradox really that the FF and FG quiet policy of emigrating the young ('It is a small island') to protect the existing cartel and insider arrangements and importing a new bottom rung to Irish society are in fact arranging their own extinction.

It will be interesting to see in the fullness of time but it may take the New Irish and their first generation to force real change in the state and knock the mouldy old Green Parrots off their perch.

Russia suspected of sabotaging Baltic Sea pipeline. NATO threatening possible response.

We're investigating it at the moment, so we'll know more over the next few days.

Russia doesn't need to blow up a gas pipe to bug Finland: there are other more effective ways for that all along the one thousand three hundred miles border.

Some things I've noticed about groups such as the Nordics and Japanese when it comes to their homes:

▪︎They are efficient at using space, most particularly small spaces.

▪︎The furniture is creative and modern.

▪︎They pay attention to every square inch of their living spaces

etc.

People from all walks of life in Scandinavia and Japan know how to create attractive living spaces. Irish furniture / interior design by comparison is hideous, even the so-called "posh" stuff, which more often than not means tacky and kitsch "neo-Georgian" tables, sofas etc. And God forbid anybody renting an apartment who wants to create an attractive living space considering that your average Gombeen landlord dumps all of the furniture into the place which he otherwise would've thrown in the skip. Irish rentals are fucking ugly - at an inflated price.

The Japanese have a cultural interest in Wabi-Sabi, which has seven pillars to it in Shinto Buddhism. One of them is the concept of Kanso, which is to only allow that into your life which brings pleasure. I think it is an important underlying concept in Japanese decor.

I can almost smell the rot in that first photo David David posted. The rotten air in the fridge that no amount of bleach can shift. All the spilled food and drinks over a period of fifteen years stinking the carpet out. The bed who knows how many people slept in. The fitted kitchen from around 1957. A fridge louder than the telly. Someone else's wet snots wiped into the armchairs and sofas. A table and chairs from a Wendy house.

On the positive side you can make your morning coffee while still in the bed. You can peel and chop your fresh foods in the comfort of a second hand duvet and sheets from a hospital in 1973. There's a glorious view of what appears to be a brick wall. Pretty unique, that. The clock above the bed ticking the moments of your life away while you lie there listening to the neighbours take a dump as though they were in the room with you. Wondering what the fuck is was your Mam said that you now wish you'd listened to. The misery of getting home after a long day and pissing rain - walk into that gaff with a bag of spuds for dinner and all you want to do is slash your wrists and write your last goodbyes in blood on the wallpaper.

Doors that don't fit and a draft coming in under the front door that could lift the yellow and brown sheets off the bed.

Windows you can't open - because they're glued shut and screwed into place. The bedside cabinet and the weird stuff the previous tenant left behind: hair-clips, an empty condom packet, a used comb, post-its with five-digit telephone numbers written on, an envelope with a threatening letter from the electric company. A brass penny from the 1930's. A needle and a length of blue thread. A used toothpick. One sock. A small plastic bag full of rusty thumb-tacks. Two mass cards for two toothless culchie-looking men. A faded photo of Padre Pio and the blood on his hands as he looks up to heaven.

It's amazing what the Irish get away with.

The Nordic people I know are always amazed at Irish standards. As if it's not bad enough that we don't all live in thatched cottages and keep chickens out the back garden, we instead expect them to be happy with the likes of the above image of your standard Dublin flat. And it is a flat, it most fucking certainly is NOT an apartment. Which of course baits the question about said flat: where in the unbelievable Jayzus is the bathroom? I bet you a pound to a penny it's down the hall and you have to share it with the eleven Chinese fast food delivery boys who do shift work and the beds are rotated accordingly - Chan gets up goes to work. Ching then lays down in the warm bit. Each tenant has a key for the john so they can lock themselves in during the more delicate moments of the morning. After all, imagine how your girlfriend's going to react when she sees the bed for the first time? Or when she goes down the hall to take a shower, and when she reaches out for the hair conditioner, Chan hands it to her while sitting on the toilet pot.

A third world country is right.

It's horrible inside and it's even more horrible outside.

The smell of damp, the rot around the window frames. The noise the sink makes when the taps are running. The noise of the Syrian couple upstairs who never stop fighting and battering each other. The call to prayer and all that wailing they do. The seventeen girls from Argentina and Brazil sharing the flat down the back and their salsa and Latin music blaring all day. Your man in the tiny flat upstairs who's trying to write a book on a typewriter from 1950. Clack, clack, clack, clackety-clack, clack. Whiss - Ping!

The piled up mail in the hallway for people who neither live there nor even exist any more. The electricity meter box on the hallway wall and the lock the landlord put on it so you don't drill a 1mm hole in the casing and use a pin to stop the wheel from revolving. The old 50p meter still in the wardrobe seventy years later. The landlord using his own key to your flat when you're out and making himself a cup of tea. You get home and he's sitting there on your mangled old sofa, which - if you tell him to get off it and get out - he responds with: 'no - this is MY sofa, and it's MY flat' - I was just checking the taps anyway..'

So he stays until he's finished slurping down his tea, then rinses the cup with a splash of cold tap water and puts it back onto the 'From Butlin's Mosney' mug holder the last tenant left behind. His rancid breath and lip-marks on your mug that you have to wash twice after he finally fucks off.

It truly does beggar belief what these hungry cunts get away with.

Feel free.

It was a very trying post to compose, I found myself back in my first ever bedsit at age eighteen on Belgrave Square in Rathmines. It was £28 per week, a sizeable amount back in those days but it was either pay up or find anything cleaner and brighter for less money. At least the bed was new, even if the kitchen was actually in the wardrobe. I'm not even kidding either. One time, the only time in my entire life at that, I fucked off for the weekend and forgot to close the big Georgian window overlooking the back garden (it was the main reason I took the flat) and someone climbed in kicked the lock off the electricity meter and took whatever was there, leaving everything else behind. Didn't touch a thing, I had my entire drums rig piled up in boxes and flight cases in the corner, cymbals and drums worth thousands, but they weren't even touched - which made me wonder if the fucker was in there when I put the key into the lock to let myself in.

The cops came around (had to call them, landlord's instructions) and looked at the window, then at me, and then left saying they'll be in touch. Yeah, right so. Landlord arrives the next day, I'm deep asleep after a long weekender, he's letting himself in when I get up and kick the door closed again, then swing it open and demand to know what the fuck he thinks he's doing. We have a row and he leaves, not bothering to put a new lock on the pre-paid electric meter, so I use a fifty pence coin over and over and clock up a sizeable credit and was able to properly heat the flat with a two-bar plug-in electric heater which I left on all day and night. Landlord eventually shows up again with a new lock for the meter, so I tell him I'm leaving, that he's some cunt walking in and out of my home.

Rotten fucker, he advertised the flat immediately and started bringing people in when I was there and when I wasn't. So I stopped paying him any rent, found a new place (miles out in Palmerstown Woods, about twelve canal bridges out from the city. A depressing housing estate, nobody around, a view of a factory with a pile of pallets as tall as Carrantuohill. Suicide central for sure. But I kept my key to the Rathmines flat, and when lady I was seeing went to Japan for three months, I gave her the phone number of the old A/B phone in my old bedsit. When she reversed-called me at a set time, I accepted the charges from the Japanese operator and we'd chat for while about whatever. The bill must have been bigger than the pile of pallets, because I was in and out of your man's hallway a couple of times a week, and even met the new tenant. A nurse from the sticks. I asked if she was bothered by the landlord and she said no, apart from him coming and going when she was out and he was 'doing some maintenance' when she got home.

Maintenance my arse - he was panty-sniffing and likely trying on her dresses, the big culchie scumbag he was.

Maybe this post should be in the Culchie thread rather than the Nordic one?

Fuck it - I'll put it in both.

Today we see the first snowfall for southern Finland and the entire Uusimaa region. Big fat flakes of puffy snow falling slowly with not even a breeze to swirl them. It's probably not cold enough yet for it to stick, but it's a good sign for the next few weeks. The snow reflects the light both during the day and throughout the night. Without a white coating on the ground, the slack period between the fall and winter-proper can be grim.

The recent changing of the clocks leaves us in darkness by 1800. The days feel much shorter so we rise earlier to get things done before even dressing for work. The laundry rooms are working at full steam from 0600, school begins at 0800 so the Mammies have to get things sorted before taking the kids to school and doing the shopping, etc.

The window of available light will get smaller and smaller as we head into deep winter, so it's not unusual to see joggers out at 0530 along the sea-front. Tenants cleaning their carpets on the huge rails: you toss your carpet over the upper bar and beat it with a bamboo slapper until all the dust is out. The hammering sound of the bamboo hitting the cold carpets often start around 0500 so there's no dust in the air when the kiddies are out playing in the daycare centre below.

Today's laundry session will see me put away the summer wear into storage after cleaning and then I'll get out the winter wear. From sneakers to snow boots, from t-shirts to polo-necks. I like this time of year: preparing for the winter ahead, considering all the options. Changes of diet and changes of daily schedules. It all has to be done in advance of the upcoming change of elements.

I see Ireland's get splattered with rain and nearly 100,000 of you haven't any electricity.

Sucks being in Ireland, eh.

Damn.

Imagine living in some nasty bedsit and looking out at the rain - then taking a bus into Dublin city?

Being IN the bedsit's probably worse than being OUT of it - and vice-versa.

Eeeeesh, no thanks.

Top Bottom