Home

Photo thread

David

Administrator
Staff member
Post your photos here. Visited Castletown earlier today during lunchtime...could not get any close-up shots of the house due to renovation work (scaffolding) being undertaken by the OPW unfortunately

To view larger images properly, (a) right click on them, then select (b) Open image in new tab.

Castletown House, Celbridge

An old mate of mine bought a place along Martin's Row (where Mowl grew up, right on the bottom of Knockmaroon Hill Chapelizod) it's one of those tiny cottage fronts that stretches way back onto the river Liffey and he has a small balcony he can fish from. It's fucking beautiful, I'm so happy for the guy. I know I'll get to visit and stay for dinner and a yap but it'll be like coming home to me.

Love the ginger kitty.

Chapelizod is a lovely area, beside the river and the park...yet close to the City Centre as well, so the best of both worlds. Wonderful historical Victorian architecture there as well

Love the ginger kitty.

The cat is extremely happy: lots of adventures to be had living over a river.

Chapelizod is a lovely area, beside the river and the park...yet close to the City Centre as well, so the best of both worlds.

It's where my heart lies, and if I was to ever buy a house then that's exactly where I'd want to be: along Martin's Row. It has everything you could dream of with the Phoenix Park just up the hill, beautiful views absolutely everywhere, very few anti-social problems bar speeding cars and dangerous drivers trying to negotiate Knockmaroon Hill.

The fresh water smell of the Liffey turns rather awful from the bottom end of Chapelizod into Islandbridge and down to the train station.

Wonderful historical Victorian architecture there as well

The empty gate lodge at the Angler's Rest gates?

That's a tiny piece of heaven.

Or this one:

In that first of two photos, I crossed that bridge pretty much every day during the long hot summers and the holidays from school. One time Terry-Lee and I were crossing it and spotted something in the water in the arch on the left: it was a drowned bloke - face down in the water in a blue tracksuit. We went back to the pub and told the barman who immediately called the coppers. We waited around for a while and went back out to see if the body was still there. It wasn't, it'd moved with the stream towards the city and had gone right under the bridge and gotten snagged on some branches.

The coppers finally arrived and we pointed out the spot, not too many people around thankfully as there's a kid's school just up the way.

Last thing you want the kids to see is a dead fucker in the water.

The coppers borrowed a small rowing boat from one of the neighbours of the Bridge pub and rowed out to secure the body so it wouldn't float away some more. They asked us for ID but having none, we gave our names and addresses instead. Never heard back from them and always wondered if they identified the guy.

It was a nasty experience, but not the last dead body I've seen who drowned.

The next time it happened was under the bridge at Tara Street station: dead guy, face down, grey/blue skin, eyeballs bulging, all showed a definite struggle against drowning. That dead guy reminded me of the rubber body we used in St John' Ambulance: it was a standard hospital issue fake cadaver, same as the one on Radiohead's album 'The Bends'.

Pretty fucking creepy.

Radiohead: 'The Bends':

The river valleys running through Leixlip, Lucan and Chapelizod are such wonderful and magical places. I'd love a little cottage between the river below and a wooded hill above. Unfortunately most housing in Ireland is built on flat terrain. I love the village of Leixlip, yet the new estates up towards the M4 motorway are so fucking monotonous, aka. flat terrain, boring housing estates. Lucan is even worse as it's much larger than Leixlip...with maybe four times the population. Yet Lucan village itself is wonderful, just as Leixlip village is.

I'd love to reside where that guy in the picture lives, yet such homes are rare to come by.

Angler's Rest, Strawberry Beds, the Carmelite monastery, the various gate lodges: pure heaven.

The smell of the river from there back to the source is beautiful, it's only after Chapelizod that it starts smelling fairly nasty.

By the time you reach King's Bridge (my Dad refused to call it Heuston Station for some reason) the stench is rank.

Then after the Guinness factory?

Rancid.

By the time you're crossing the Ha'penny Bridge it's dark green and full of sludge.

They seriously need to clean out the river under the various bridges: rusty bikes, prams, shopping trolleys, and other shit like the Millennium Clock.

Drag the middle of the river and stir up centuries of shite.

It might smell for a while but at least you're getting rid off all that crap that poisons the water - the Liffey Swim blokes are right crazy bastards to hop into that.

There's little respect for natural beauty in Ireland. Even along picturesque river banks you'll encounter plastic beer cans, discarded takeaway bags etc. just thrown away by careless scumbags. Countries such as Finland and Sweden are spotless in that regard I imagine, whereas Ireland would have more in common with third world shitholes such as Nigeria when it comes to environmental vandalism. Interesting commentary concerning the liffey in the City Centre as I was reading up on the Great Stink of London (1858) recently. The whole Thames had effectively become an open sewer until the construction of Bazalgette's sewage network thereafter.

I'm thinking Dublin City Council need a similar civic vision, yet I won't hold my breath as this is the same governmental body which gave the thumbs up for half of Georgian Dublin to be bulldozed...only to make way for car parks and evil-looking brutalist eyesores. When it comes to architectural and natural beauty a large proportion of the Irish population are philistines. Even as we speak there are plans afoot to turn Castletown House Demesne into a collection of car parks and housing estates...so such a phenomenon isn't confined to the 1960s-80s (unfortunately). Carton House was destroyed twenty years ago during the Celtic Tiger, now it's little more than a golf course and a glorified American-style country club.

The Nordic model makes it easy (and profitable) for people to clean up after themselves. If you're out for the day on Suomenlinna in the sunshine, most people bring disposable barbecue trays: some big, some bigger again. But it's all disposable/recyclable. Let's say you fire up your barbecue in the evening, eat the food, then attempt to stand up and walk away leaving your mess behind, it takes one complaint and you'll be stopped and sent back to clean it up.

Cans, bottles, etc are all returnable for credit/cash - so there are always lots of needy persons happy to clean up for you if you gift them your empties.

It makes sense, up here at least.

Down your neck of the woods I doubt it.

Too many anti-social yobs like Jambo and his mate Saul.

Bazalgette's Crossness Pumping Station in Abbey Wood in London.... certainly took pride in what they were doing back in the day...

6144.jpg

That's a water pumping station?

It outclasses most Catholic churches I've seen over a lifetime.

Reminds me a little of the in-built church organ out where I worked as a calligrapher in The National Maritime Museum, Dun Laoire.

The Baily Optic - with which I had to contend for six long weeks of sanding down and re-varnishing the wooden face of the gallery paneling, while at exact eye-level with the central prism. Which blasted me in the face every eleven seconds all the working day, every day with a mere 100w domestic bulb rather than the massive lamps it used to use. The power of the prisms within the entire optic is massive. Nearly drove me insane.

Nearly.

Victorian architecture is so detailed and ornate, there's no way anything similar would get designed in today's world with its love for modernism and minimalism. The 19th century sewer station looks better than most modern civic buildings, including libraries and local government offices. Interesting that it came about in response to the Great Stink of 1858 when London's Thames had become an open sewer in all but name.

Did you take that shot from the upstairs on a double-decker bus?

I have one almost exactly like it.

That spiky fence is so fucking hopeless looking.

City parks with gates that get locked at 2100?

From the pedestrian bridge crossing the liffey. There's a street lamp illuminating one of the trees so I thought it'd be a nice contrast to the darkness behind it. It would have been better to wait for a day when the whole building was lit up...but it was taken fairly late. Might need to get a better night shot in future.

The Mill is lovely at night, particularly the reflections in the river.

The bank on the left is lovely little spot, I often took a cigarette break nearby there when working nearby: but that bridge hasn't got a proper pavement for pedestrians on that side of the bridge, right? It's on the other side, and is about 50cms wide.

If that little embankment were on a river up here, they'd adjust the through-way with traffic light to make way for people to have a staircase down to it.

But in Urrland it always seems to be: 'ah, that's too nice and fragile for the plebs - fence it up..'

The Salmon Leap's another lovely bridge and village. But back as recently as the 80s/90s it was the sticks. Still, motorheads from Ballyer, Bluebell, and Inchicore used to descend on the Leap pub every Sunday afternoon and the session went on til dark. Fish and chips nearby. Bikes and cars all over the place. People drinking outside cheering at the passing buses, the smell of incense on the breeze (which of course was to mask the smell of hash) and the fish literally jumping the weir. Well named pub, lovely spot, great food and drink.

Hard to do any of that these days.

The area in front of the Mill in Celbridge would make for an excellent, beautiful public park. But this is Ireland and you've your usual unimaginative thickos in public office who're more concerned with the number of available car parking spaces than in utilising natural amenities.

Svörtuloft lighthouse, Iceland

Would love to visit here one day, such a stunningly beautiful location. I'd say it's extra magical at night when the Northern Lights are out.

Top Bottom