Home

Wolves Return to New York!

jbg

This is news I have been hoping for; NYSDEC Now Admits Cooperstown Wolf Was A Wild Wolf and similar title (link). This article appeard in yesterday morning's New York Times, see How Mistaken Identity and One Bullet Revealed a Star Predator Far From Home (non-paywalled link). I wanted to find links that were not "paywalled." Admittedly, I am a major supporter of reintroduction of wolves, where possible. In my view, deer and other ungulates, while fetchingly cute, are destroying the forests. Apex predators are needed. In the Northeast, the St. Lawrence River is a natural barrier. However, whether with bridges, surreptitious human help or occasional freezes, wolves seemed to have found their way back.

Welcome home howl!

Such beautiful and majestic creatures. We haven't had wolves in Ireland since the 18th century, yet there have been talks of reintroducing them in recent years.

We have to arm ourselves because of them, or further up north into the wilds at least.

Beautiful and highly intelligent creatures they're less cumbersome and far more graceful than the common moose. But again, never underestimate the stupidity of a moose, or it'll take a short cut through you. They panic, get immediately violent, try to make a run for it and it doesn't matter what's in front of them, car, house, or otherwise - they'll stampede through it.

Hearing the wolves baying across the lakes in the depths of winter is really beautiful and at the same time scary. Their howls can be heard miles away - if they want it to be. Otherwise they move like silent lightning across the snow and ice. Everyone has a gun of some sort up there. You can't survive without one. Bears, wildcats, stag, deer, wolves, we have 'em all:

We have to arm ourselves because of them, or further up north into the wilds at least.

Beautiful and highly intelligent creatures they're less cumbersome and far more graceful than the common moose. But again, never underestimate the stupidity of a moose, or it'll take a short cut through you. They panic, get immediately violent, try to make a run for it and it doesn't matter what's in front of them, car, house, or otherwise - they'll stampede through it.

Hearing the wolves baying across the lakes in the depths of winter is really beautiful and at the same time scary. Their howls can be heard miles away - if they want it to be. Otherwise they move like silent lightning across the snow and ice. Everyone has a gun of some sort up there. You can't survive without one. Bears, wildcats, stag, deer, wolves, we have 'em all:
Where are you?

I'm not sure what purpose is served as regards ecosystems with their reintroduction.

Taking this country, other large animals who once constituted our former type of ecosystem along with our grey wolf, made extinct through hunting, include the great auk, the elk, the brown bear, lynx, wildcat, and I am sure a fair few more.

That is saying nothing of the smaller mammals that are not so noticeable, never mind the microscopic life, made extinct, through hunting, farming, industrial forests and the like.

And this country was covered in thick temperate rainforest, that formed the habitats for these animals and plant life, of which there is now nothing left.

So what exactly is the point of reintroducing wolves? I suppose they would keep down the deer population, but that is already done by shooting them with guns.

Where are you?

Just below the Arctic Circle in Helsinki, Finland.

A beautiful and un-corrupted country of wonderful people, a proud history, and of more than five thousand lakes of clean clear water all surrounded by tiny cabins the Finns spend as much of their summers in as possible.

I'm not sure what purpose is served as regards ecosystems with their reintroduction.

Ireland hasn't enough wild territory for wolves.

Realistically, they'd have to be farmed - and that completely reverses the purpose of reintroducing them.

Wolves are wild creatures, they're not born for leads or cages or three walks a day.

They want to hunt, to gather in packs, then separate, then hunt, then rest.

Keeping them in a cage is completely wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

Taking this country, other large animals who once constituted our former type of ecosystem along with our grey wolf, made extinct through hunting, include the great auk, the elk, the brown bear, lynx, wildcat, and I am sure a fair few more.

That is saying nothing of the smaller mammals that are not so noticeable, never mind the microscopic life, made extinct, through hunting, farming, industrial forests and the like.

And this country was covered in thick temperate rainforest, that formed the habitats for these animals and plant life, of which there is now nothing left.

So what exactly is the point of reintroducing wolves? I suppose they would keep down the deer population, but that is already done by shooting them with guns.

Try setting a few wolves on the deer in the Phoenix Park and see what happens.

House prices in Castleknock and Blanchardstown would plummet.

The kids in Ballyer would take a wolf home and keep it in the back garden if they could.

For the craic, like.

Guns mostly take beautiful, healthy specimen. Wolves do the opposite, unintentionally bettering the herd.

Just below the Arctic Circle in Helsinki, Finland.

A beautiful and un-corrupted country of wonderful people, a proud history, and of more than five thousand lakes of clean clear water all surrounded by tiny cabins the Finns spend as much of their summers in as possible.
I take it that's wolf country?

We have lots of wolves, yes.

They're protected by law and any culling that takes place is done for their best interests.

Yes, they stray into the towns up north, but so do the deer, moose, and even bears. We can't kill everything that walks in from the wilds any more than we'd stupid enough to take a hike into the depths of some Nordic forest without bringing a gun. They sometimes show up further south to where I am, but it's rare and they're put to sleep and carried back home to wake up in the wilds where they belong.

More people are killed by falling icicles from the rooftops than by wild animals, so some perspective helps.

We lost one neighbour that way a few years back: she was pushing her pram along the pavement and an icicle snapped and fell down, piercing her skull and killing her. The baby was fine, which is some consolation. It helps if one doesn't walk too close to the face of the building, best to stay out nearer the edge of the pavement. The city put out barriers when the icicle problems amass. But it's common sense to walk as far out as possible.

The Finns have cultural idiosyncrasies that fascinate me. They walk to the right. That way everyone going in one direction can move more efficiently. Same with escalators: stand to the right, walk on the left. Get in someone's way during rush hour, and like the moose, they'll walk through you without looking back. Try to walk in the city on the left and you'll face into faces looking at you like you're an idiot.

People staring into their phones while walking?

That's strictly sport: nobody apart from mothers with babies makes an allowance for an idiot walking through a crowd without looking where they're going. Walk at me and I'll walk straight through you, braced shoulder-first. Fuck off. It's usually tourists with maps and phones, stumbling around like retards. You have to teach them the hard way - it's the only way they learn.

But anyway - of all the wolves I've ever encountered - none come close to the Wolf on the Arsefield's Gay Bar site. That one's a scum-sucking abortion of a human. Half that cunt's genes dribbled down the inside of his Ma's legs while cycling on the way home from a night down on the docks serving the Russian fishermen. He's a filthy excuse for an Irish man.

If any wolf ever required a slow and extremely painful slaughter?

That's him.

This is news I have been hoping for; NYSDEC Now Admits Cooperstown Wolf Was A Wild Wolf and similar title (link). This article appeard in yesterday morning's New York Times, see How Mistaken Identity and One Bullet Revealed a Star Predator Far From Home (non-paywalled link). I wanted to find links that were not "paywalled." Admittedly, I am a major supporter of reintroduction of wolves, where possible. In my view, deer and other ungulates, while fetchingly cute, are destroying the forests. Apex predators are needed. In the Northeast, the St. Lawrence River is a natural barrier. However, whether with bridges, surreptitious human help or occasional freezes, wolves seemed to have found their way back.

Welcome home howl!
Now wait a minute. Hasn't Wall Street been populated with wolves for decades, now?

Top Bottom