Home

Lisa Murphy, RIP.

roc_abilly

She has passed away at a young age, from cancer, only 51.

I never gave her that much thought, but considering her now, she is something of an enigma to me.

Sure, she came in for a lot of hate in Ireland. Deserved, or not, I'm not so sure?

But consider her first boyfriend, Joe Egan, the Irish heavyweight boxer. Some character.

Now I gather what motivated Egan was his hatred of bullies, a legacy from his school days.

(I see similar in Mowl Mowl, he spots the same type in a similar way as Egan, and also goes for them in a similar way).

Well Egan used to send money home to Lisa, and he bought her a house. Apparently she went and spent all the money on breast implants.

Then he finds out she went off with Flatley, also an ex-boxer.

Anyway, point being, Joe Egan seems a very different kettle of fish to Flately, and that social butterfly/worm Gerald Keen.

So what does her relationship with Joe reflect on her, and how?

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on her. Obviously there was a certain widely held perception of her in Ireland, and I admit I would also have held it, without giving it much thought.

But how much more was there to her? Who was she really? Does the picture most people have of her accord with the reality?

Maybe she deserved more affection from the Irish public, than she got? No doubt she courted that public in a manner that many people hated.

She was a strange one, I think.

Anyway for some reason I just wanted to give her an affectionate RIP, the benefit of the doubt, and solicit any other insights visitors to this forum may have?

Well, the one headline she did have before her sadly early death was about her having run off at the mouth about her jewelry and how much it was worth. Only to come home one evening and there's a bunch of lads tearing her place asunder looking for the jewels. They threatened to cut her finger off if she didn't tell them where the expensive stuff was and to take the ring she was wearing at the time.

Only a fool goes to the media to mention her gifts, their value, their location.

That was ten or twelve years ago, I think.

I heard that Egan paid for her new tits, she had them done for him was the line I heard. Regardless, it was a sight to see her hanging out with Gerald fucking Kean of all people. It just goes to show you the attraction of money. Because she sure as fuck wasn't dating him for his good looks and personality. She was another of the Sunday brunch set, the fake elite of Dublin's five stars. He dressed like a clown and sorry to be harsh, but her face and horses have a thing in common. Her cleft chin didn't help. If she was spending money for bodily augmentation, then a chin-job might have been a better choice.

She, more so than Kean was the glamour-puss. She wanted to be in the media for not very much really. She partook in some TV show about Dublin wives, no? Whatever it was, she went in willingly and courted the media as much as she could to garner photo space in the social pages. I know that set. I know the places they go and the scene they're part of. Few of the wives actually DO anything bar lunch and charity work - so long as there's a camera to record it and schleps like Barry Egan to write it up. I despise that little pixie-booted cunt. Another media-addicted nobody with no discernible talent. Leeches, parasites on the party scene, they attended every opening, every new show, anything that brought them a little attention or a reason to dress up and trowel on the make-up. I've no pity for any of them getting the lash-back for their corny moves. Only in a country like Ireland could Gerald Kean be a celebrity and Murphy a glamour model.

She was way too old for any of it. I know the business in Dublin because I worked in it. Back then it was Elaine's Model Management who ran the scene for the Irish fashionistas. Eddie Shanaghan in particular. It was named after Doody because her sister was a Bond girl. They milked the name and Ed ran the production on a for-profit basis. I was his assistant for a couple of years. He was previously the head of the Irish Wool Secretariat. Semi-state funded for a number of years before its demise and re-assimilation. But he was unmatchable, always several steps ahead of the game. He hung with the glamour set but never hung out for the photographers, he was discreet. He had reason to be. But the glamour set followed him everywhere and as a result I was often around the type Murphy aspired to.

And it was an aspiration of hers to be considered 'a very beautiful and sophisticated woman' in the glossy-covered sense. Some ladies don't know when to start acting like one. If you ever ate at Pasta Fresca and in and around Germano Terrenoni's places off Chatham Street then you know what I mean. Women of a very certain age, dressed up like slappers. It's not funny. It's really sad actually. The actual models at the time were 100% professional; Ed leased them out on contracts to every corner of the planet. My ex did Milan, Tokyo, Berlin, Paris, London, New York, Rio de Jineiro. Usually three-month bookings for shows and x number of covers or editorials. Great money, short window. Work hard and save the money, keep your head straight and get out when on top - not after.

Murphy attended the shows, but only in the front rows. She was never catwalk material. Nor magazine covers.

Unless the designer stipulates that the items being modeled were for the larger lady, the models were generally rakish.

Lots of the auld biddies who hung around in Cafe En Seine, or Jurassic Park as it was labeled - are still at it today. It goes all the way back to Terry Keane and her bullshit 'cafe society' for 'ladies who lunch' was totally fabricated. It never existed like that. Yes, she was having an affair with Taoiseach CJ Haughey who lavished money on her, but her Sunday column was hardly raucous. Her references to 'Sweety' were the kind of lurid tabloid shit you'd expect from a red-top, but in the Sunday Independent? Sweety? And Maureen Haughey seeing her husband wining and dining her? Who aspires to the kind of shit? This is the very scene I'm referring to regarding Murphy. Her contortions for the camera alongside it all were just skin-crawlingly awful.

So to see her and Kean hanging out, him trying to be all rosemantical and her being stand-offish - you could smell the moat full of cash.

I mean, imagine the two of them naked and going at it? The man is a horrendous sight, and she appears like it'd be dangerous to bang her too hard lest a tit burst or a chin-implant shift. These people put themselves in front of the cameras. They weren't dragged or pursued like Princess Diana. They hustled their way up front to preen and pose. Every fucking time. That's how I got to hang out with Lennox Lewis for one mad night, the Mowl and the world heavyweight boxing champion of the world? Damned straight: 'and what the fuck are YOU looking at' was my intro line. He broke his shite laughing and begged me to get him out of there. So I did. The rest is legend.

The fashion business is a hive of parasites - but the smart girls were in it for the money, not the scene - you get the scene anyway, it's part and parcel.

Murphy was an all-too-willing 'celebrity' and she knew the papers/magazines NEED that kind of material to sell copy.
She lined herself up and lived it like it was something special to be part of.
It isn't: it's a shitty business behind the glossy curtain, and a pretty tough and unapologetic one.
You can't be too old, too fat, too thin, too young, or not smart enough to know that the window is tight, and time is vital.

If you're the kind to put yourself out there, you'd better be able to handle the pricks that come with the lifestyle.
If you can't, then like parasites they'll eat you alive.
I saw loads of girls with stars in their eyes: they dreamed the dream, but their moment never came. And it fucked them up.

Fifty years is young though, so it is sad from that angle.

At least she didn't have any kids.

That'd be truly sad.

I remember this one time I was walking across Castleknock towards Blanchardstown and was in work mode (covered in painty clothes) when I stopped at the zebra crossing. Light turns red and she pulled up in her car. I turned and looked at her, she was staring back, so I winked and smiled. Her jaw dropped. I started laughing, then she smiled. She was very sweet. But what I was actually laughing at was seeing her in the flesh and the only thing I can think of is Gerald Kean lying on a Victorian four-poster - naked and with a rose between his teeth.

But sure money, eh.

Fame?

Celebrity?

Eternal youth?

Stop kidding yourself.

Back when Gerry Ryan kicked it, there was a headline so precious I brought it back to Helsinki with me and stuck it on the studio wall so I had something to laugh at/throw my phone at because it made me laugh:

COCAINE KILLED GERRY!

Evening Herald, I think - though it could have be the Indo either.

Shortly after Ryan (or just before) it was another glamour-puss who kicked the bucket. Katy something-or-other? The media frenzy was rotten. They were trying to frame her as a victim, as an angel who just 'fell in with a bad crew' and got swallowed by the scene. My fucking arse. She was banging coke up her face for years. They all are. These days, I mean. Back when I was in the business, any girls (or guys - though there were only a few professionals) who got caught up in drugs brought a bad name to the agency, so they got the bullet if they were caught. Publicly. But that was then, a long time ago.

Alongside the coke and champagne is of course the the 'model's little helper' in the form of diet tablets which removed any pangs of hunger. So it was champagne and ice cream for lunch and dinner back then. These days, the larger woman also features on the glamour pages, so like it or not, big is beautiful in today's world, and god help you if you refer to the three letter word that'll get you cast out of decent society and back to the gutters with you. Some of today's pop stars are build like bouncing castles. Back in the day, fat girls wouldn't be SEEN at a fashion show. Are you mad?

But yes, the Irish media glorified the Katy girl and went after some guy who was dealing to her, but these people weren't having sessions in the pub and back to someone's place to keep the vibe going. These guys were the flash cafe-bar-exclusive set. Their house parties were organized way in advance. Invites were sent out. They were social events, calendar even. Something worth dressing up and plastering on the slap for. Plus, decent quality cocaine goes with most everything being served, your chosen outfit too, and your arse never looks too big in it either.

See all those cunts in RTE management and the sheer scale of their fuckery?

Were you guys actually thinking that they're NOT the cocaine set? That they're actually just your regular, boring, predictable auld suckers who prefer a night in with the Horlicks? Are you fucking blind or what? These are your coke-heads. You reckon Coveney (not the Dail one - the other one in RTE) wouldn't know his coke from his speed? Who did you think it was doing all that dope? The cleaning staff? Who exactly caused them and how exactly did these monumental fuck-ups take place? Memory problems through lack of sleep brought on by work-related stresses? Old age? A hangover from the kid's christening party last evening?

Dee Forbes.

Doctor's notes.

Get it yet?

Gerry Ryan was soft-soaped, but he did it to himself - there's no way around that. Selfish, arrogant, of a great sense of entitlement, he rammed that shit up his own face hard-fucking-core. Cocaine for breakfast. At six in the morning before a shave? What's so glamorous about that? That's addiction in any other language. A coke-head. Scumbag. The kind of cunt who thinks he's god's gift when the coke mingles with speed and the gin and tonic and moment itself. Drug addicts. What's Dee Forbes 'sick' with anyway? What did you think it was? Cancer of the memory? Flu? Or the COVID19 shot?

In any normal country, Ryan (a father and husband) would be called what he is: a drug addict. On national radio. At the tax-payer's expense. See the conflict there? Imagine that happening anywhere else than Ireland? See? Cowboys and Indians. The Irish glamour set is basically a troupe of scumbags thinking they're all that because they have the cash. That Katy girl would be held up as an example of how bad a woman can actually be. Nobody overdosed her. She probably got it for free too. Or for favours returned, who knows?

So next time you're reading about traces of cocaine on the cisterns of the toilets in Leinster House, Montrose, the Department of Foreign Affairs, Dublin City Council, think about the lurid cocaine headlines and take a closer look at your own local Fine Gael member. Or Sinn Fein. If you need to put a face to who it is that all that cocaine that passes over Ireland is going to, look at your national television and radio, your parliament, your various departments. Then imagine them on 89% pure cocaine. This is your drugs business in Ireland. These are the prime movers and shakers who buy in bulk, not a few grams for the night, but half and quarter ounces. Morning, noon, and night.

This is also why nothing works properly in Ireland. The state and the national media has the public thinking they're surrounded by drug addicts. Next door maybe, up the road, around the corner. It's everywhere. Everywhere except the national television headquarters and the parliament houses? Hah! You guys are a gas. The simple truth is that the seedier side of Irish life is that your coke set are ugly thick mutants. Knuckle-dragging drug addicts on the sly. The kind who can afford to cultivate a lifelong habit and keep it under wraps. Until the rest of the staff are out with the wraps. Same shit in your political houses: there's fuck all glamour anywhere to be seen. Just these big lurching freak mutants roaming the corridors looking for some action.

You people let your media think for you.

You actually think that it's the working classes and the knackers on O'Connell STreet they're referring to.

It aint.

It's the guy who wrote the article, his edit who passed it, and his agent who gets a cut.

That's your Irish glamour set for you: they're about as sophisticated as Val at a Swedish smorgasbord for the first time: he thinks it's all for him, that he's perfectly dressed too. Val on coke? Hmm. Declan on coke? Mmm-hmm. Your man Swordid/Golah? Hmmmm. Jambo? Heh! Wolfie? Defo. Saul? He doesn't need drugs, he's barely even awake as it is. But there you go. The people you least expect to be hardcore suddenly showing you their sunny side is never anything short of fucking hilarious. I have friends I've since discovered have a variety of tastes and habits I never would have guessed.

So back to the thread: was Lisa a nice girl - or was she another brat?

Answers on a postcard, please.

These people behave like aristocrats from the Ancien Regime - smug, elitist, spoiled, arrogant and entitled. Their claims of so-called victimhood are disgusting and morally indefensible in a country where old people are left in hospital trolleys for weeks on end, while others are thrown out on to the streets in the freezing depth of winter to fend for themselves, lucky if they get so much as a sleeping bag to stave off early death from the cold, frost and snow. People with real world problems as opposed to attention-seeking spoiled brats born with silver spoons in their mouths.

Yeah, but they didn't get to where they are without a willing audience.

Suck it up: the Irish coke set is middle-aged and wearing a bad suit.

Balding or widow's peaked.

Fat, sweaty, and damp.

Tubridy.

Now there's an interesting RTE character: you reckon he's a brat or a geek?

Well, the one headline she did have before her sadly early death was about her having run off at the mouth about her jewelry and how much it was worth. Only to come home one evening and there's a bunch of lads tearing her place asunder looking for the jewels. They threatened to cut her finger off if she didn't tell them where the expensive stuff was and to take the ring she was wearing at the time.

Only a fool goes to the media to mention her gifts, their value, their location.

That was ten or twelve years ago, I think.

I heard that Egan paid for her new tits, she had them done for him was the line I heard. Regardless, it was a sight to see her hanging out with Gerald fucking Kean of all people. It just goes to show you the attraction of money. Because she sure as fuck wasn't dating him for his good looks and personality. She was another of the Sunday brunch set, the fake elite of Dublin's five stars. He dressed like a clown and sorry to be harsh, but her face and horses have a thing in common. Her cleft chin didn't help. If she was spending money for bodily augmentation, then a chin-job might have been a better choice.

She, more so than Kean was the glamour-puss. She wanted to be in the media for not very much really. She partook in some TV show about Dublin wives, no? Whatever it was, she went in willingly and courted the media as much as she could to garner photo space in the social pages. I know that set. I know the places they go and the scene they're part of. Few of the wives actually DO anything bar lunch and charity work - so long as there's a camera to record it and schleps like Barry Egan to write it up. I despise that little pixie-booted cunt. Another media-addicted nobody with no discernible talent. Leeches, parasites on the party scene, they attended every opening, every new show, anything that brought them a little attention or a reason to dress up and trowel on the make-up. I've no pity for any of them getting the lash-back for their corny moves. Only in a country like Ireland could Gerald Kean be a celebrity and Murphy a glamour model.

She was way too old for any of it. I know the business in Dublin because I worked in it. Back then it was Elaine's Model Management who ran the scene for the Irish fashionistas. Eddie Shanaghan in particular. It was named after Doody because her sister was a Bond girl. They milked the name and Ed ran the production on a for-profit basis. I was his assistant for a couple of years. He was previously the head of the Irish Wool Secretariat. Semi-state funded for a number of years before its demise and re-assimilation. But he was unmatchable, always several steps ahead of the game. He hung with the glamour set but never hung out for the photographers, he was discreet. He had reason to be. But the glamour set followed him everywhere and as a result I was often around the type Murphy aspired to.

And it was an aspiration of hers to be considered 'a very beautiful and sophisticated woman' in the glossy-covered sense. Some ladies don't know when to start acting like one. If you ever ate at Pasta Fresca and in and around Germano Terrenoni's places off Chatham Street then you know what I mean. Women of a very certain age, dressed up like slappers. It's not funny. It's really sad actually. The actual models at the time were 100% professional; Ed leased them out on contracts to every corner of the planet. My ex did Milan, Tokyo, Berlin, Paris, London, New York, Rio de Jineiro. Usually three-month bookings for shows and x number of covers or editorials. Great money, short window. Work hard and save the money, keep your head straight and get out when on top - not after.

Murphy attended the shows, but only in the front rows. She was never catwalk material. Nor magazine covers.

Unless the designer stipulates that the items being modeled were for the larger lady, the models were generally rakish.

Lots of the auld biddies who hung around in Cafe En Seine, or Jurassic Park as it was labeled - are still at it today. It goes all the way back to Terry Keane and her bullshit 'cafe society' for 'ladies who lunch' was totally fabricated. It never existed like that. Yes, she was having an affair with Taoiseach CJ Haughey who lavished money on her, but her Sunday column was hardly raucous. Her references to 'Sweety' were the kind of lurid tabloid shit you'd expect from a red-top, but in the Sunday Independent? Sweety? And Maureen Haughey seeing her husband wining and dining her? Who aspires to the kind of shit? This is the very scene I'm referring to regarding Murphy. Her contortions for the camera alongside it all were just skin-crawlingly awful.

So to see her and Kean hanging out, him trying to be all rosemantical and her being stand-offish - you could smell the moat full of cash.

I mean, imagine the two of them naked and going at it? The man is a horrendous sight, and she appears like it'd be dangerous to bang her too hard lest a tit burst or a chin-implant shift. These people put themselves in front of the cameras. They weren't dragged or pursued like Princess Diana. They hustled their way up front to preen and pose. Every fucking time. That's how I got to hang out with Lennox Lewis for one mad night, the Mowl and the world heavyweight boxing champion of the world? Damned straight: 'and what the fuck are YOU looking at' was my intro line. He broke his shite laughing and begged me to get him out of there. So I did. The rest is legend.

The fashion business is a hive of parasites - but the smart girls were in it for the money, not the scene - you get the scene anyway, it's part and parcel.

Murphy was an all-too-willing 'celebrity' and she knew the papers/magazines NEED that kind of material to sell copy.
She lined herself up and lived it like it was something special to be part of.
It isn't: it's a shitty business behind the glossy curtain, and a pretty tough and unapologetic one.
You can't be too old, too fat, too thin, too young, or not smart enough to know that the window is tight, and time is vital.

If you're the kind to put yourself out there, you'd better be able to handle the pricks that come with the lifestyle.
If you can't, then like parasites they'll eat you alive.
I saw loads of girls with stars in their eyes: they dreamed the dream, but their moment never came. And it fucked them up.

Fifty years is young though, so it is sad from that angle.

At least she didn't have any kids.

That'd be truly sad.

I remember this one time I was walking across Castleknock towards Blanchardstown and was in work mode (covered in painty clothes) when I stopped at the zebra crossing. Light turns red and she pulled up in her car. I turned and looked at her, she was staring back, so I winked and smiled. Her jaw dropped. I started laughing, then she smiled. She was very sweet. But what I was actually laughing at was seeing her in the flesh and the only thing I can think of is Gerald Kean lying on a Victorian four-poster - naked and with a rose between his teeth.

But sure money, eh.

Fame?

Celebrity?

Eternal youth?

Stop kidding yourself.
Very insightful, the Mowl, thanks for that. I guess I missed all of that.

Well, back when I was around sixteen, I had a couple of girlfriends and wider circles of friends who brought me to places like the Pink Elephant, the Butterie Brasserie, Lillie Bordellos.

My distaste for that scene grew as I looked back on it. At the time, I suppose I was just young and liked drinking in new and exciting places.

You mentioned Cafe en Seine. That was the same crowd that leveled Bartley Dunnes and put in Break for the Border, in 1990. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but that was the beginning of the end of the Dublin pub.

They brought in fucking line dancing in there. It looked like hell when I once looked in the door. And Bartleys was gone.

I guess there was evolution of two different species. The type you're talking about in your post, whose prior selves I witnessed in places like the Pink Elephant, comprised a certain social species, did they not.

Age brought on an increasing divergence in our respective evolutionary paths. (And technology, like plastic surgery).

Anyway from what you say there, yes, I think I remember that crowd. Or at least their forebears.

You know just thinking on it now, I don't think I've ever met a girl with fake tits. Then again, I can hardly tell if a girl is wearing make-up. Their spells always work 100% on me. I never learned to even see through the sleight of the foundation brush, well at least if applied with any degree of sophistication.

As to Gerry Ryan and all of that.

I liked some drugs. But not cocaine.

It is the one drug that rots your soul. I hated the idea of it. I hated the falseness of it.

It became so ubiquitous in Ireland. You'd go to a wedding, with family there, and half of the guests would be on it.

Quite disgusting, disrespectful, selfish, and self-centred.

And you always want more. And more.

I avoided it like the plague, at least I tried my best to.

It destroys a social scene, and idiosyncrasy, in reality.

I really hate this celebrity worship culture we've imported from America. It's polluted just about every news publication at this stage.

Tubridy.

Now there's an interesting RTE character: you reckon he's a brat or a geek?
All I know of him is that when people start bitching about him, those who knew him as a school kid defend him, they say he was always mad about radio, and about books, and other interests which he always took up with genuine passion. Which sounds like a geek to me. And they say they always knew he was going to go far, and be famous.

???

I really hate this celebrity worship culture we've imported from America. It's polluted just about every news publication at this stage.
I suppose it may be a substitute for the catholic church and the old deities.

It brings to mind this paragraph written by a fellow who once earned the sobriquet, "the most evil man in the world.” It's quite a similar thing:

"... In the mind of a pious person, the inferiority complex which accounts for his piety compels him to interpret this emancipation as union with the gaseous vertebrate whom he has invented and called God. On the cloudy vapour of his fears his imagination has thrown a vast distorted shadow of himself, and he is duly terrified; and the more he cringes before it, the more the spectre seems to stoop to crush him. People with these ideas will never get to anywhere but Lunatic Asylums and Churches..."

... Or leafing through the pages of Hello magasine...

Well there is make up and make up.

I remember some of the girls from that scene had make up absolutely piled on, so that it was literally cracking.

I came across one of those girls recently at a funeral. They still had so many layers of make up on that I did not recognise them until I walked past.

Sure some are highly trained in its application, so that the effect is as desired.

But how regularly do you see it put on in the former manner? Sadly trying to cover up what they do not like in themselves.

I never got close enough to Lisa to see what camp was she in, whether she hated her own face, or not.

Very insightful, the Mowl, thanks for that. I guess I missed all of that.

Once you've had your foot in the door of the Dublin 'upper class' scene, you can't unsee what went down. The Irish rock and pop music game was always associated with the fashion set, they all attended each others parties. One opening I went to at The Kerlin Gallery was showing 'new work' by Guggi, Bono's mate from The Virgin Prunes. Bono and Adam arrived, I watched them come in from their cars: Both picked up the list at the door and without even really taking a look at the canvases, started putting sticky-back red markers under pretty much everything hanging on the walls.

In one moment, everything was for sale: two minutes after the lads walked in 99% was sold.

It's not exactly charity, but it ain't a million miles from it either.

Well, back when I was around sixteen, I had a couple of girlfriends and wider circles of friends who brought me to places like the Pink Elephant, the Butterie Brasserie, Lillie Bordellos.

I was frequently at all of the above joints for private parties, after parties, blah, blah. My ex was one of the top three-rated models who took most of the work. Lisa Cummins, Finglas (down to earth, smart, working class, sharp as a blade) and Marie Staunton (generally considered to to be Elaine's MM's best asset) who lived with Ed Shanaghan. The three girls were close friends, so we all attended the same bashes.

The Pink was where everyone ended up after midnight. Def Leppard ran the corner with the pool table, the fashionista's had the centre table (upstairs) reserved every weekend. Middle aged slappers galore, rock stars, losers, dealers, car salesmen, fashion outlet owners, designers, blah, blah, blah. But that was the scene as it was back then: you were either in or out, there was no hanging around.

My distaste for that scene grew as I looked back on it. At the time, I suppose I was just young and liked drinking in new and exciting places.

Same here - and for a while I was even thinking: 'sweet - I'm in' when I'd stride up to the Pink and they'd pull the rope to let me in past the queues.
Load of bollocks really. Pints for twice the price. Shit food for even crazier money. One night me and the ex dropped in early, around 1900 when the Pink served food from a full kitchen service. Asked for a table and was told to wait at the bar, we'll have one soon. Sometime later we're still at the bar and I spot a table so I tell the waitress we've been waiting, etc. She wouldn't give me the table, so I took herself over and we sat down. Waitress comes back , all flustered, The table is booked, she says. Fuck that, we've been waiting over an hour. Wouldn't leave the table and she whispers in my ear the people the table is reserved for are here. I turned around and there's four people standing over us. I looked a bit closer at one bloke's face and the penny dropped: it was Paul Hill, of The Guildford Four, with his company. He'd only gotten out days before.

Herself excused ourselves and got up and left altogether.

Mortified.

You mentioned Cafe en Seine. That was the same crowd that leveled Bartley Dunnes and put in Break for the Border, in 1990. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but that was the beginning of the end of the Dublin pub.

They brought in fucking line dancing in there. It looked like hell when I once looked in the door. And Bartleys was gone.

Bartley's was a great bar: poor auld Bartley himself must have been so confused at how his pub went from gay bar to hip and trendy bar where both sets of people all wore make-up and put time into their hair-dos. He was a lovely man, his Mam lived to an almighty age and he put her into a luxury retirement home out near upper Dunlaoire. Classy place, I worked there decorating the social rooms for the Christmas parties for the oldies.

Bartley clearly adored his Mam, he was ancient himself, but the wizened little lady must have been three hundred years old.

But the scene in his pub was raw flesh, everyone was fucking everyone else.

More make-up and hair-spray than a post-Christmas sale at Boots.

I guess there was evolution of two different species. The type you're talking about in your post, whose prior selves I witnessed in places like the Pink Elephant, comprised a certain social species, did they not.

They were the glamour set of the day. Whatever events on the Dublin social calendar were happening, we were all there - every fucking time. Gin and tonics, tapas, shite art, dodgy products, mad shows (like the one Vivienne Westwood put on for some children's charity) descended into romps. Again, everyone checking everyone else out, who's boning who, who's cheating, who's high, who's fake, and who the fuck is that and who let him in?

To a Ballyer head, it was disgusting.

Lots of money, zero class.

Age brought on an increasing divergence in our respective evolutionary paths. (And technology, like plastic surgery).

Anyway from what you say there, yes, I think I remember that crowd. Or at least their forebears.

I'd say most of the older ones are dead by now. Or retired. One party I always loved was Graham Knuttel's annual Christmas bash. He'd invite the people he liked for the night: full bar, all free; no table service but food everywhere and waiters to bring more around the rooms. Graham would give a little speech to welcome everyone, then slip out the back door to a hotel room for the night.

I don't know why he always missed his own bash, but it was what it was.

You know just thinking on it now, I don't think I've ever met a girl with fake tits.

Not that you know of: if the job's been done right, they should look seamless.

Then again, I can hardly tell if a girl is wearing make-up.

Ach, I can spot these things a mile off: the ex-wife was a stylist, beautician, and make-up artist in her day job.

She's highly talented at it, so I got used to being surrounded by all the associated items of high fashion and style.

Their spells always work 100% on me. I never learned to even see through the sleight of the foundation brush, well at least if applied with any degree of sophistication.

Done well, make-up can drive a man to lengths he mightn't have thought he had in him.

Done badly? Slapper - no fucking way.

Waking up next to some wan you nailed the night before and her face is printed on your pillows in all the colours of her outfit?

Yuck.

As to Gerry Ryan and all of that.

I liked some drugs. But not cocaine.

For a while on the touring scene I used to buy beers for whoever had coke and do a line about two minutes before stage.

It changed everything.

When I'd listen back to recordings, we were so fucking tight.

No coke?

Ramshackle.

So I never bothered again after that, and definitely NOT socially - fuck that.

It is the one drug that rots your soul. I hated the idea of it. I hated the falseness of it.

It became so ubiquitous in Ireland. You'd go to a wedding, with family there, and half of the guests would be on it.

It's far worse today than it ever was back then. You could measure the scene and classes within it: hash for knackers, imported weed for others. Mescaline blotters and mushrooms for knackers, designer drugs for others. But meeting relatives on coke is a fucking nightmare. Coke heads can't seem to shut the fuck up and worse: know where the line is, but they'd cross it every time. Personal details about themselves. Kinks. Peccadilloes. Habits. Partners, diseases, nasty things they've done, etc.

Then when it's worn off?

Yuck.

Quite disgusting, disrespectful, selfish, and self-centred.

And you always want more. And more.

I avoided it like the plague, at least I tried my best to.

It destroys a social scene, and idiosyncrasy, in reality.

I agree.

Worst drug out there bar heroin and crack.

And of course alcohol.

Yuck.

Superficially, Ireland has more in common with the USA than she does with any of her contemporary EU countries.

If Ireland would only take a wee look at Finland and how we do things, then you too might be living the finer quality of life as I do.

It'll never happen though: the Irish model has holes all over it, the Finnish model has oversight and accountability - on every level.

Regarding Tubridy:

All I know of him is that when people start bitching about him, those who knew him as a school kid defend him, they say he was always mad about radio, and about books, and other interests which he always took up with genuine passion. Which sounds like a geek to me. And they say they always knew he was going to go far, and be famous.

That's very much the impression I got: a bookish type who'd rather curl up by the fire with a book or magazine than hang out with the slappers. He simply wouldn't fit in to any scene I can think of. Maybe the 'Shanaghan's On The Green' and 'Hugo's'set who eat around mid-evening and then sit back with cigars and brandies. Were he to walk into some roughneck shop down Temple Bar?

The poor stick insect would be snapped in half by mere glances in his direction.

I remember a few years back I was in town and it being Christmas, my brother's company booked a table at l'Ecrivain for the staff bash. He sent me a photo of his entre: it had one tiny leaf of salad, three carefully placed nuts of some description, and a squirt of some sauce written over the top of it. I couldn't stop laughing. I asked what it cost and he told me menus don't have any prices on them. I laughed even louder.

That pretentious bullshit's exactly what led to the joint flopping and having to shut down, losing a Michelin star or two in the process.

It wasn't food, as such - and maybe you weren't even supposed to eat it. Maybe to study it? Like a piece of abstract art.

Three nuts, no squirrel meat.

I suppose it may be a substitute for the catholic church and the old deities.

It brings to mind this paragraph written by a fellow who once earned the sobriquet, "the most evil man in the world.” It's quite a similar thing:

"... In the mind of a pious person, the inferiority complex which accounts for his piety compels him to interpret this emancipation as union with the gaseous vertebrate whom he has invented and called God. On the cloudy vapour of his fears his imagination has thrown a vast distorted shadow of himself, and he is duly terrified; and the more he cringes before it, the more the spectre seems to stoop to crush him. People with these ideas will never get to anywhere but Lunatic Asylums and Churches..."

... Or leafing through the pages of Hello magasine...

The Irish Catholic set of the day were another fucking cancer on Ireland.

It was they (the upper/elite/political/propertied/religious) who turned Sunday mass into another sort of Irish fashion show. They reserved the upper pews and the riff-raff stood at the back. Post-mass drinks were of the sherry type in the wealthy houses, but the working classes had to enter the local via the back door due to The Holy Hour rules. In my neighbourhood, most of the harder drinkers were in already by 1000/1100 so when the publican shut the doors, they were already in there supping their day off away.

That's where we got the term 'lock-in' - still in use today.

Knacker terminology too.

Well there is make up and make up.

It's an art form - many ladies don't seem to understand that - they use it like graffiti instead.

I remember some of the girls from that scene had make up absolutely piled on, so that it was literally cracking.

Worse again was when they pulled on their coat and the collar was manky with powder and greasy fake tan.

Fake tan?

Nooo..

I came across one of those girls recently at a funeral. They still had so many layers of make up on that I did not recognise them until I walked past.

Funerals? The modern day type are also fashion shows.

Sure some are highly trained in its application, so that the effect is as desired.

It's meant ot enhance natural features to make you appear naturally beautiful.

But applying it with a shotgun to look like someone else is of the Frankenstein end of the horrors.

But how regularly do you see it put on in the former manner?

Hasn't your partner ever had a trial make-up session at her favourite department store? In Finland, they're usually tied together so that it's a one-stop shop. Have your nails done first, then try some clothes out, take some advice from the stylist, then have an experimental make-up session with a professional who'll give you a brand new look (that you'll NEVER be able to replicate) a quick let-down of the hair, brush it, finish your glass of free champers, and off directly to your table in whatever restaurant.

That's pretty much how the fashionistas up here do it.

Gaggles of girls out on a company do often book an hotel room beforehand. Not to sleep in as such, but to have a party with the crew. You book a room big enough, everyone starts piling in by 1700, clothes are tried, swapped, tried again, then make-up, hair, nails, all the while knocking back the skumpa (look it up) and their favourite music on cue. Lots of fun and it acts as a base when they want to change clothes before hitting the next venue for the night. Everyone chips in a few quid and at the end of the night, those who are too drunk stay overnight, and the rest use the hotel's cab service to get home.

Remarkably cheap for a group of five or six ladies and all very much based on how we celebrate things with Baltic Sea cruises to Stockholm, Tallin, Riga, Vilnius and Copenhagen. Party upstairs at the burlesque, party downstairs with duty free booze and a bucket of ice. Up and down, drinking, eating, changing clothes, trying new perfumes in the DF, and every cabin stuffed with people looking to have a good time.

It's a great scene, especially if you're young enough to not know better. Touring players referred to them as Virgin Liners. Lots of young wans looking to break their cherry, all liquored up and smelling like fresh flowers, all over the dance floor and up in your face with shots before heading down to the cabin and locking the door from the inside. An hour later and she's back to her crew and you're with yours.

No names, no addresses, no phone numbers.

Sadly trying to cover up what they do not like in themselves.

One thing I see a lot of in ladies today is the facial problem of rosacea, a bright red rash caused by an acne type infection that seems to come from beneath the dermis. Girls who have it usually trowel on the foundation on their cheeks like they filling holes in the dry-wall. Kiss her once and your face will be all made up too.

Yuck.

I never got close enough to Lisa to see what camp was she in, whether she hated her own face, or not.

Ladies today are under massive pressure from the moment they begin to awake as young women. Photoshop has a lot to answer for here too. Magazine covers today are all digitally enhanced. Back in the day, if your skin wasn't flawless then forget it. Make-up's not a disguise: it's an enhancement of what's already there and has to be dealt with.

I agree that when you see a a young wan of 20/25 walking around with the eyelashes of an elephant it's hard to see any sophistication. Make-up done badly can make a woman look like a horror show. Slapper. Whore.

Think fat Irish girls in large groups out on the weekend? Flabby thighs, skirt way too short, heels too tall, cleavage bulging out of a cheap push-up bra, wearing whatever the scent of the day is (CK1 in the 90's - remember those heady, hazy days? They slap the make-up on layer by layer until they're unrecognizable. Their own Mam's couldn't pick them out in in a line-up. Stumbling down Crown Alley like skittles getting battered by dozens of massive bowling balls. Screeching with laughter. Passing around a bottle of something blue and sticky, with a purse full of naggins for the club.

They think they're living the life?

Mental.

Absurd.

Looking at her images, she's guilty as charged.

Make-up as thick as the third coat of emulsion on the kitchen walls.

Every woman has a problem with some aspect of themselves, these are the current pressures the young women of tomorrow are facing. Everything's digitally enhanced, and not just the photos: the lifestyles being discussed/described, female power, girl power, I'll tell you what I want what I really really want, cos all I really want is zig-a-zig-a-zig-ahhh.

I don't know what it means but the girls certainly seem to.

And among the accoutrements are their handbags and their men: men who must be washed and shaved, wearing some after shave, deodorant, clean shirt, pressed slacks, shiny shoes and a set of car keys to hand. Tight combed down hair in the style of the day. Can't dance but's still willing to try. Even to country music their parents would sneer at. Sing-songs at the tables of tunes from your childhood - the same ones the Ma and Da play for the guests back to yours for the tea and toast supper with a bottle of whiskey and several shot glasses on the table.

Sweet Caroline.
Push-Pineapple-Tip-The-Three.
Who The Fuck Is Alice?

The generation gap of today has never been so tight as it is.

Estate girls become women at age thirteen, make-up, dress sense, hair, etc. Their Ma's are often only fifteen years older. They look more like sisters than mother and daughter. They exchange clothes. The younger ones seem bowled over by the Spice of life, so seeing their Ma's dressed like a slapper before heading down to the local is perfectly normal. Then the girl starts doing the same and the Ma can't complain because, well - because she was the slow cow who set the game up in the first place.

Don't do as I do - do as I tell you simply doesn't apply any more.

The line begins to blur.

Last edited:
Excellent thread, which proves yet again why Isle is a million times superior to Arsefield's in every single way. Thank you to Roc for starting this discussion and to Mowl for exposing just how degenerate the Irish political and monied classes are. In any other country all of this would cause uproar...yet your average Irishman and woman will do little more than keep their heads down, while complaining at home and in the pubs like a bunch of little cowards. There is of course the rare exception such as Mowl...yet he is constantly defamed and attacked by the very people he's trying to help, e.g. your average Arsefielder.

I'm definitely familiar with the whole fashion show which is the Irish Catholic Mass. Even at my father's funeral it felt like a lot of the individuals present were there only to be seen. And it's the same in nearly every church throughout Ireland, at every mass throughout the land - women dressing like sluts and / or trying to show off the latest mini skirt they purchased. So while Padre is discussing what happened in the Middle East three thousand years ago...your average male parishioner is staring at Mary or Sandra's arse from the pews behind. Yet all of these two-faced cunts insist on being Holy Joes when religious questions arise in politics.

I feel sorry for Lisa Murphy passing at such a young age. But if I'm to be honest the woman had a face like a dog's dinner. Katy French was pretty I think, but the cult which grew up around her was extremely annoying- particularly among its high priests such as Brendan O'Connor. She was a pretty girl, but she knew what she was getting into. Having wealth doesn't make taking Class-A narcotics any less dangerous. Play with fire and you're going to get burnt. I haven't read the Sindo in years, but I reckon Brendan O'Connor is still bullshiting about what a little angel she was etc.

Top Bottom