Home

Benedict Arnold - A Traitor, Burned in Effigy, Again and Again (But was he really?) I Don't Think So

jbg

All of us, as schoolchildren, learned about Benedict Arnold. We learned that he was a traitor. See recent article,A Traitor, Burned in Effigy, Again and Again

What we were not taught was his pre-treason, heroic aspect. One thing to remember was that the U.S. was not a country, but an idea, or in the views of the royalists, a renegade, wannabe republic until 1781.

I happen to believe that the raw deal Benedict Arnold was constantly given by the Continental Congress, and Generals Gates and Washington pushed him over the edge into deserting the American cause. This book puts his turn from glorious heroism into the context of its time. The American revolutionaries were a ragtag group of rebels. The one thing that what became the United States was not was a country. What Benedict Arnold betrayed was a rebel movement. History being written by the victors, the U.S. is treated by many as a country as of July 4, 1776, not 1787 when the Constitution was written, or when George Washington took the oath of office in New York City on April 30, 1789.

Benedict Arnold was an undoubted hero from 1774 when he took up arms for the Revolution for a bit more than four years, when the betrayal started. The betrayal came to a head in September or October 1780 when he attempted to turn over West Point to John Andre, a British officer. During the "heroic" period he was grievously wounded not once but twice. He spearheaded an invasion of Quebec City from Maine that nearly took what is now Canada for the revolutionaries.

He and Ethan Allen are rivals for credit for seizing Fort Ticonderoga in 1775 and then helping win the crucial Battle of Saratoga in 1777. That battle, in turn, led directly to French and Dutch recognition and military and financial support for the Revolution. In short it is possible that "no Benedict Arnold, no United States." This is rarely remembered. In no way is Benedict Arnold another Vidkund Quisling, Pierre Laval or Julius or Ethel Rosenberg.

The "thanks" he got from the Continental Congress and corrupt military leaders was to go unpaid, un-thanked and passed over for credit and promotion. He advanced considerable resources to pay soldiers and for military supplies. In his mind, at some point, "enough is enough." Part of the factor seems also have been a steamy affair leading to his second marriage, to Peggy Shippen. Peggy was part of a well-known and wealthy Loyalist Family.

None of this, in my mind, excuses treason. But some leaders should know that when "no good deed goes unpunished" the results are often not good.

Not surprisingly, the British gratitude for Benedict Arnold's turn against the Revolution was fleeting. They did not honor their promises to Benedict. The main moral of the story, I suppose, is that loyalty is a fundamental value, abandoned at peril.

If my memory serves me correctly, the man was initially a patriot...but through constant disrespect and belittling from his peers joined the British side as a form of revenge? He's probably gotten an undeserved bad rap - essentially on par with the biblical Judas in American culture, with say Washington or Jefferson elevated to an almost messiah-like status by contrast. I believe the results of the revolution were positive as it's difficult, if not next to impossible to contemplate a world without a United States of America. That said I still never could understand the sheer hypocrisy of men who owned slaves championing the cause of freedom. I think Samuel Johnson put it best when he opined:

""How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

Famed Irish campaigner Daniel O' Connell refused to set foot on American soil until slavery had been abolished, though he passed away some two decades before the US Civil War. In a way I think Abraham Lincoln deserves to be elevated above the American founding fathers as he essentially founded the modern USA as we know it, aka. where slavery is all but outlawed - bar prisons for whatever nefarious reason/s.

Wasn't the whole revolution treasonous? The colonists were, after all, British citizens. Washington himself had been a British officer in the French and Indian war (Seven Years War).

Funny how seceding from Britain was meritorious in 1776, but secession from the US in 1860 was criminal.

America's founders were mostly Anglo-Saxon elites themselves with a landed gentry heritage stretching back to pre-Civil War England...perhaps with the odd exception such as Benjamin Franklin. Some modern historians have rightfully called into question America's Founding Fathers' supposed democratic credentials. This wasn't the French Revolution where bourgeois Jacobins sided with the Parisian and French working classes - but an ensemble of individuals with vested financial interests to whom democracy meant 'mob rule'...and a threat to the established elite.

All men are created equal...unless of course you're a slave. Nah we need to keep slavery as it's in our economic interest to do so. As for the other non-propertied 99% of the population voting and influencing decision-making? Fugget about it! The story of America's founding in 1776 is basically a bullshit fairytale.

Horrible fucking country and a population of selfish greedy cunts who think being twenty-eight stone weight and walking like a cast-out penguin is perfectly healthy. Another of my Finnish ex's gave a speech on Tuesday last at the United Nations building in New York, then went out to party in Manhattan. Her thesis is on the health and habits of the eighteen to thirty age group in modern Finland.

Smoking and drinking, eating and sleeping. Comparisons are made based on this and that detail (who reads anybody's thesis these days?) and conclusions are reached. If they bear weight they're used in a variety of ways, most of which flies over my head but she sure sounds like she knows what she's talking about. Enjoys a drink and loves to dance, but thinks weed is worse than heroin, which is where I get off the bus.

It's a strange country, Finland - in that everyone seems to have a doctorate or degree in everyone else's bad habits.

But they are highly educated and their credentials are among the highest on the surface of the planet.

We're also very discreet: we don't boast about our successes/achievements, or our money.

We leave that to the fat Yanks to blather on about.

America has been about money and the almighty dollar since Day 1. The actual founding of America at Jamestown in 1607 was purely at the behest of London merchant companies looking to establish economic colonies, cutting out the Spanish Empire middlemen in the process. Convince yourself that the land is rightfully yours as Native Americans are nothing but Godless savages and barbarians - and you've a whole continent there for the taking and looting...right up to the early 20th century in fact, or three hundred years after the establishment of Jamestown.

Conmen such as Dan continue to push the false narrative that America is the glorious land of freedom, its founders secular saints etc. to modern Americans who don't wish to hear any different. It's how he's made his livelihood in the US of A so far, aka. retelling the fantasy of America's founding, stories of brave and morally incorruptible patriots, all for a few dollars in his pocket.

Top Bottom